I'm an ABSENTHEIST. Are you also?

by EdenOne 284 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Sorry did you want me to use shorter words, or perhaps captions on goofy cartoons?.....cofty

How WBT$ JW Elderish of you.........LOL!!........You Can`t Support Your Grandiose Claims..

So your Hoping a Condescending Word or Two,will turn the Attention Away from your Inability to Provide Proof..

..................................http://www.telecomsense.com/Dr%20Phil.jpg.........http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/thsmilie_happy_251.gif
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

Jonathan Drake:

What we are all pretty much saying here is that God is absent from the universe.

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that God is absent, (not present), in the observable universe that we know so far. It may be entirely absent from the whole universe, and in that case it can be said that he's non-existent. But only when we have scanned the whole universe without finding trace or evidence of it. Until then, we can only note his absence. Then it's up for grabs what do do with that information.

Eden

• galaxie
    galaxie
    Hi eden I'm sure you must realise that the scenario you have set up about scanning the whole universe before we can conclude about the evidence or lack of for god could be applied to a million and one crazy notions conjured by mans mind for whatever reason they chose to proffer. Pardon the pun...but god help us!!
  • cofty
    cofty
    Pink unicorns are absent, (not present), in the observable universe that we know so far. They may be entirely absent from the whole universe, and in that case they can be said that they are non-existent. But only when we have scanned the whole universe without finding trace or evidence of them. Until then, we can only note their absence.
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

Galaxie, of course that's an extreme scenario, but it's the most honest scenario. But note what I said - based on the notion that God is absent, each one is entirely free to do as they wish with their lives, from chosing to live for a deity that hasn't been able to come forth and prove its existence, to not giving a damn if God exists or not, to live a live entirely free from any fear from a supernatural being. nothing unlike people do already, really, don't you agree?

Eden

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that God is absent

Right. And per your own definition from websters absent means not present or NONEXISTENT.

Thats called checkmate.

• cofty
    cofty
    don't you agree?

No.

You are pretending that whether or not god exists is an open question.

It isn't. Every god who has ever been invented so far does not exist.

By refusing to define the word "god" you have ended up saying absolutely nothing.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Jonathan Drake,

Nope. What Webster's says is that "non existant" is but one among several possible synonyms for "absent". I used this example to counter Cofty's silly assertion that "absence" pressuposes "existence". Of course it doesn't. What is unavoidable about "absence" is that means "not present", "faillure to be present".

Eden

• prologos
    prologos
    eden, galaxie, god is not IN the universe, the scan would be a scam. stop confusing god(s) with the generator, originator, creator, that must have been watching in amazement while the universe created itself, with all it's energy, appropriate laws.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

17 pages of arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Eden, I am afraid I am not impressed by your new-found assurance (arrogance ?).

For newcomers to this Site coming from a JW background this sort of stuff is not helpful, and perhaps off-putting.

Much better to simply state that the position held by Believers of any sort is one that is equivalent to Delusion.

Then they may be encouraged to examine Belief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit