First Post

by Lev11233 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Lev11233
    Lev11233

I was born and raised into a very loving family of Jehovah's Witnesses. Even though my dad was always working overseas, my mom kept my sister and me "spiritually strong." I progressed very rapidly in the organization. I was baptized when I was 15, I immediately started to auxiliary pioneer, eventually started regular pioneering, I held many "privileges" in the congregation, I was very close to being appointed a ministerial servant.

And then I just stopped attending meetings.

I don't know if doubts had started to form, but, for whatever reason, I just stopped going to meetings with any regularity. At one point, the only meeting I attended one year was the Memorial.

I always taken to heart the scripture at Galatians 6:1, which speaks of those with "spiritual qualifications" coming to the aid of those in the congregation who may be taking false steps, even "before he is aware of it." In two years of not attending meetings, not one time did an elder call me or knock on my door (even though the presiding overseer lived next door to me and another elder lived across the street from me). I would get the occassional mass email from my book study overseer informing the group of the upcoming snack night (we really did love our snack nights, lol). But nothing more substantial than that.

Then came October of last year.

Two elders knocked on my door--my book study overseer and a young elder close to my age with whom I had regular pioneered. Thinking that they were nothing more than a "shepherding call," I invited them inside. After just a few minutes, it became abundantly clear that this was no shepherding call. After almost two years of irregular meeting attendance, the body had sent them to investigate me on suspiscion of wrongdoing. And I hadn't even done anything wrong! I flatly denied everything, and though they said they did, I'm pretty sure they didn't believe me. After they left, I remained bitter, resentful, and angry.

I have not since stepped inside a Kingdom Hall.

Nothing more came of that visit. I have since written a letter of disassociation, but I have not sent it. I don't know why. I have intenionally not spoken to my family, preparing myself mentally and emotionally for what would happen should I send that letter, I guess. In the meantime, I am now in a two year relationship with a "worldly" girl (I always thought the term "worldly" made everything seem naught, lol), and my dream of going to college has been realized. Independent thinking seems to be a de facto requirement of college education, and it has taken me awhile to "de-program" myself from looking for the answers in the "obvious" places. I am currently a double major in Broadcasting and (wait for it) Political Science, hoping to one day work for a political campaign or as a political correspondent.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome!

• sabastious
    sabastious

Bizarre that they would just pop in asking questions.

"You will know my people by the love they have amongst themselves."

What you were shown was not in line with what Jesus said.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Oh yes, and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

-Sab

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Welcome.

I would suggest if you have family you would like to stay in contact with, that you hold on to that D/A letter. It sounds as though you've managed a successful fade. How is your relationship with your family?

• Lev11233
    Lev11233

How is your relationship with your family?

Like I said, I haven't really spoken to them. My dad drops by my job every now and then to check up on me, but I've intentionally kept my distance from them. I do love them very much, though.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Hi there Lev11233. Too bad they didn't know how to show up to see how you've been getting along. It sounds like you're moving along in your life just fine. Nice to meet you

• St George of England
    St George of England

Welcome! Delighted to hear you are going to College and have future plans made, I really hope this works out for you. A proper education is needed these days and the JW 'no-education' policy has been proven to be a failure over decades.

I am not sure about the DA letter though. I would just keep a low profile, though the more experienced members on this board will no doubt have some input for you on this.

George

• snakeface
    snakeface

HI Levi and welcome. I was very active and prominent in my circuit. Then one day I just did not feel like going back. After 4 or 5 months an elder called and left me a message to call him back. I did not. About 6 weeks later a different elder left a similar message and I did not return his call. That was it. That's fine with me!

• Lev11233
    Lev11233

St George, when I graduated from high school six years ago, I told my parents I wanted to go to to college. Their response was very typical:

"He's going to go to college and leave the Truth!"

Lol. So I didn't go. Taking a History 101 class, though, has opened my eyes to some revisionist history taking place in Brooklyn. Most notably, the history of the first century Christians. A history of which I was already well aware, but it was nice to get it confirmed by someone who actually knew, you know, history.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit