My perception of posters

by Lady Lee 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Earlier today I made a comment on a thread about how I perceive a poster.

My perception is mine and mine alone. I am responsible for it. How I perceive what someone posts to me is also my responsibility.

If I have a run-in with someone on the board there is a good chance the next time I see that person post something I don't like I will add my past perception to their post.

For example: Let's say Poster XYZZZ told me off. I was pretty hurt by what he said. Now I could have taken that hurt and not dealt with it in a healthy way. Then the next time I see him post something I take those negative feelings and add them to whatever post he makes even if his post is not directed towards me. Pretty soon I see all his posts as being very negative.

Another example: I didn't sleep well, got up and had a fight with my neighbor and come in here and am still stewing about the neighbor. The first thread I open doesn't please me. Or the second or the third. By the fourth thread I am ready to let someone have it. So I let out on the first person I don't agree with. They react in shock and the two of us go at it with many others piling in to have their say thinking this is a good place to unload all their frustrations.

One more example: I just had a huge fight with my still-a-JW relative or maybe I just clammed up and said nothing because I knew it could turn into a big fight which I don't want. So I come in here and find the first person that I don't like and let them have it.

The point in all three is that my mood is going to affect my perceptions; how I read a person's post. If I am feeling good I will probably find a lot of happy posts. But if I am feeling angry I may just be itching to let out my anger. To justify my letting out my anger I find someone I know I can disagree with. I will interpret whatever they say negatively. I may even give them a voice in my head that is haughty or arrogant or angry.

Now the other person posting may not have meant what I read into the post. Far from it. But because we have no body language, or facial expression, or tone of voice on the internet we will lean heavily towards adding them. And we could be dead wrong.

But if we take our perception and put it on someone and we are wrong then we are hurting not only them but ourselves. We may still never agree with a poster. Maybe we did argue the last time we posted on the same thread. But we cannot take the past and use it to say that is how things are today. This posted said some really hurtful things to me the last time so that is how they are feeling all the time. Well maybe it is but maybe it isn't. Just like us maybe they were having a bad day last time we posted together.

I know how hard it is to stop myself from putting my perception on another poster. It is soooo easy to do and feels so natural. But. . . my perception needs to be validated. In the past I have PMed the person and asked about the problem; if they really meant it the way it "sounded" because "sounded" is simply my perception, my interpretation. And most often they were shocked that I took it that way because that isn't what they meant at all. We cleared the air and were ready for a fresh start. I discovered my perception was wrong. Lesson learned

Granted there have been some posters over the years that were obnoxious. They were nasty to just about everybody. Well then you have to choice to join in the nastiness and get down to their level or find a way to rise above it and behave like an adult. Or we can just avoid that poster. This too is part of our learning experience in relationships.

But before you hit that SUBMIT button ask yourself about your perceptions and how accurate they might be. You might learn some very important lessons about yourself

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Are you saying your Human?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    You might learn some very important lessons about yourself.

As an old lady once said, "That's shore to be the truth!"

I know I've learned quite a bit about myself from feedback from fellow posters.

Some of it I didn't like at all.

Syl

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Are you saying your Human?

Funny you should say that. As a JW I tried so hard to be perfect. Of course it is impossible but I still tried. It wasn't until after I left that I learned that it was ok to not have all the answers. it was ok to even be wrong sometimes. And it was ok to apologize when I was wrong.

Being real. Being human. Being a person who can and does make mistakes is so much easier. I no longer need everyone to like me. Heck I even wanted the abusers to like me. I needed, really needed to learn that not everyone will like me or agree with me. And that is ok. Sometimes I don't like me either. And sometimes I realize that what I thought was right was actually very wrong.

That is the whole point of life; to learn, to grow, to become better than we are today. I never want to stop learning. So yes. I am human and very prone to the same foibles as the next person.

Some of it I didn't like at all.

Yup there is a lot of learning we have to do. Sometimes they are wrong but I think we still need to sit and honestly think about the possibility that others can see what we can't. Hopefully over time we can work on those things we didn't like.

• wasblind
    wasblind

NOW THAT'S FOOD FOR THOUGHT

• Ding
    Ding

One thing that attracted a lot of us to the WT is that they seemed to have an explanation for everything in the Bible, even things we'd never heard of.

Can you imagine the Watchtower saying, "We really don't understand that scripture"?

It's only after you see all their failed prophecies and doctrinal flip-flops that you realize that they have no idea what they're talking about and are making it up as they go along.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Ding, if there is one sure sign of narrow sightedness it is thinking that you have an answer or explanation for everything.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Can you imagine the Watchtower saying, "We really don't understand that scripture"?

Such a statement would require humility; the Borg has none. They are the chosen of God and what they publish is FROM GOD.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think that is why we need to stop slamming people when we don't agree with them. They have just as much right to what they beleive as we do. Who knows who is right when it comes to some things? I'm certainly not an authority on what happens to us after we die. Ot whether there is a God or Satan or heaven and hell.

Discussion is one thing and I think for our own sake we need to learn what "agreeing to disagree" really means. That JW-mind-set that only I am right has got to be examined.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well said Lady Lee, well said indeed.

It doesn't matter from which side we approach this, the fact is that all of us are just expressing our opinions on things, no more and no less.

No one is forced to agree or even to read another persons posts or thread.

We can all agree that all our opinions matter as much and as little as everyone elese so a little mutual respect and tolerance is NOt a bad thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit