Yahweh's Witnesses

by brotherdan 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Question:

Since we do not know what the divine name actually was and how it was pronounced, why does the WT insist on "Jehovah"?

The divine name brochure answers this on page 8. It says, "When it came to God’s name, instead of putting the proper vowel signs around it, in most cases they put other vowel signs to remind the reader that he should say ’Adho?nai′. From this came the spelling Iehouah, and, eventually, Jehovah became the accepted pronunciation of the divine name in English. This retains the essential elements of God’s name from the Hebrew original."

Let's say that this sounded reasonable to me and I believed it.

Let's also say that I am a JW in a Hebrew speaking land.

Would I use the "accepted pronunciation" of the divine name in Hebrew? This would be "Yahweh"

Did you know that Hebrew JWs do not use the name "Yahweh" either? Interestingly they translate "Jehovah" into Hebrew. It's something like Yehovah's Witnesses.

No does that make sense to anyone?!? If you claim to RESTORE Gods name, then why are you translating from Hebrew to English and then translating the English rendering BACK to Hebrew?

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

Because it's an American religion, duh!!!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Right. But how does that make any sense to a Hebrew speaking JW? Interestingly, in Israel people know who Jehovah's Witnesses are, and are quick to correct them that their use of the word is incorrect. What is interestingly is those same Jews do not use the term Yahweh because they still believe that it is too holy.

So they know about "Jehovah" but they DON'T use the divine name. That's facinating to me...

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

excellent questions. JWs use it just to be different. Anyway the term was originally only for the annointed ones not the great crowd. Lies are everywhere. I decided to call him YuHuWuHu sounds more authentic.

So when you pray how do you call him? do you think he cares? does he listen diffentely if you use his name or not? am curious of what you think

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Jesus didn't even tell us to use his actual name in prayer. He said to pray to "Our Father". Making known God's name does not mean making known his LITERAL name. It's making known his power and authority. To think it just referrs to a label is ignorant.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

The best and most literal spelling/pronuciation I've been able to muster through some digging and derivation from other ancient Hebrew names is: Yehoweh. But does it really matter?

V665

PS: I wonder if Leolaia can do better?

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

YUHUWUHU-----I can't stop laughing!!!!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

It matters to them. And if you are going to judge me because I don't agree with their requirement of its usage, then you need to back yourself up. So WHY not Yahwehs Witnesses in Hebrew? That's the most accepted rendering in Hebrew, right?

Why hold on to the english pronunciation of a german spelled word that is based off of the latin? It makes no sense. You can't restore an original with a substitute word. It's no longer a "restoration".

• undercover
    undercover

Marketing.

Rutherford and his cronies went with "Jehovah". Whether they knew the real history or not, I'm not sure. My guess is, probably not. A lot of people knew "Jehovah" was a form of the name but didn't know the real history.

Over the years the WTS claimed to be the only religion really using God's name and kept pushing it as an indication that they alone had the truth of God's Word.

Of course, as time went by and knowledge became more readily available, more people learned the real history of the word. Even the WTS had to finally admit that the word is erroneous but then resorted to double talk to bolster their reasons for using it.

By then, of course, the name was synonymous with the religion. Everyone, or most everyone, knew who Jehovah's Witnesses were. Too late to change.

Also, to change would admit error on the part of God's supposedly spirit-directed organization. Did the HS take the day off the day Rutherford renamed the Bible Students or is the organization not really directed by HS?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Even if too many people knew them as "Jehovah's Witnesses" to change the name, wouldn't their desire to be as biblically accurate (as they claim to be) force them to consider changing the name? They changed in in 1932, why not change it again when they realized they were in error?

You're right though. It's all business and marketing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit