Joel P. Engardio's article on JWs (Washington Post)

by behemot 21 Replies latest jw friends

• behemot
    behemot
    Jehovah's Witnesses: a model for church and state

By Joel P. Engardio
    If I'm ever allowed to legally marry, my mother won't attend my wedding.

I'm a gay man and my mom is one of Jehovah's Witnesses. To remain true to her faith, she can't in good conscience be part of a same-sex marriage celebration. Like the Mormons, Catholics and Evangelicals who supported the gay marriage ban in California, Jehovah's Witnesses vehemently oppose same-sex marriage on moral and biblical grounds. Gay people are not allowed to be Jehovah's Witnesses unless they live celibate and single lives. The congregation shuns members who insist on being in a same-sex relationship. Yet my mom didn't support California's Proposition 8, nor did any of the million devout Jehovah's Witnesses in the United States. They have a strong belief to stay out of politics and all wars, including culture wars. So while I'm left with a mom who believes being gay is a sin, I also know she isn't doing anything to block gay people from seeking their fundamental right to marry.

As a marginalized religion with unpopular beliefs, Jehovah's Witnesses know what it's like to have their rights taken away. First Amendment freedoms of speech and religion didn't protect Jehovah's Witnesses from losing their jobs, expulsion from school and even imprisonment for preaching in the 1940s. Jehovah's Witnesses didn't want to salute the flag because to them it was an act of worship reserved only for God and God wasn't American (German Jehovah's Witnesses refused to say "Heil Hitler" for the same reason and were put in the concentration camps). It wasn't until a landmark U.S. Supreme Court case in 1943 (West Virginia v. Barnette) when it was decided that a free society shouldn't force its citizens to say or do things against their will. That case also addressed the Tocqueville fear of "tyranny of the majority" in which voter will trumps minority rights. The Supreme Court said Jehovah's Witnesses - and thus all unpopular minorities -- were protected from a majority seeking to discriminate at the ballot box. "One's right to life, liberty and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly," Justice Robert Jackson said, "may not be submitted to vote."

Jehovah's Witnesses proselytize door-to-door advocating a religious point of view, just as Mormons do. But the difference with Jehovah's Witnesses is that acceptance of their message is a choice that ends at the front door. They don't support ballot initiatives that amend the constitution to force everyone to live their way. State laws are not needed to legitimize their moral views. Jehovah's Witnesses don't see the state as an enforcer of a moral code. That's the Bible's job, they say. If you want to be in God's Kingdom, simply live the code yourself -- it's not their mission to enact laws to stop gays from marrying.

I wish all religions had as much confidence in their faith that someone else's definition of life, marriage and morality posed no threat to their own. The beauty of the Bill of Rights is that it supports both religious freedom and personal liberty. There was no better demonstration of it than on August 4, 2010 when a federal judge ruled California's ban on gay marriage unconstitutional. The key legal precedent that Judge Vaughn Walker used was the 1943 Supreme Court case involving Jehovah's Witnesses. "Fundamental rights," Justice Jackson wrote in 1943 and Judge Walker quoted in 2010, "depend on the outcome of no elections."

Now that's something my mother and I can agree on.

Engardio is a 2011 MPA candidate at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. His essays have appeared in USA Today, Washington Post.com and on NPR. Engardio directed KNOCKING, an award-winning PBS documentary on Jehovah's Witnesses.

source: http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/guestvoices/2010/10/jehovahs_witnesses_a_model_for_church_and_state.html

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So while I'm left with a mom who believes being gay is a sin, I also know she isn't doing anything to block gay people from seeking their fundamental right to marry.

Joel needs to stop trying to appease both worlds he is affected by- the world of Gay men and the world of Jehovah's Witnesses. He tries to compliment his mother while telling Gays that JW's aren't "opposing" you. He had hoped that both groups would accept his documentary (KNOCKING) and they both pretty much rejected it instead. When will he learn?

He is starting to act like the official spokesman for JW's to the world outside of JW's. He only looks for good in the group that would never accept him.

• poor places
    poor places

I knew a few JWs who liked Knocking. I thought it was ok. Certainly nothing to learn for someone who is already a JW.

I don't think you can fault the man for seeing good in all parties. He got out of the religion and doesn't have any hatred toward it. That sounds like a healthy approach.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I personally find it fascinating to read Mr. Engardio's perspective in the Post, or occassionally hear on NPR. I suspect that he hasn't personally endured many of the trials of so many on this site, but I think he exemplifies what respectful and intelligent debate should be. He understands that very few people on either side of this arguement will completely agree with him, but it seems that one of his continuous messages is that just because people may have fundamentally different core beliefs, we can still show genuine respect to one another. Anyone who espouses that gains my attention and respect-- if only because it's too rare in society today.

I hope that others follow his example and realize that someone who is willing to highlight the positive aspects of a movement that they don't personally support doesn't hurt them; it makes them a stronger, more understanding person.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I wish all religions had as much confidence in their faith that someone else's definition of life, marriage and morality posed no threat to their own.

This line is absurd. ALL alternative thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and actions are a part of "Satan's World" and are repeatedly warned against as the MOST DANGEROUS threat to all JWs.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Jehovah's Witnesses proselytize door-to-door advocating a religious point of view, just as Mormons do. But the difference with Jehovah's Witnesses is that acceptance of their message is a choice that ends at the front door. They don't support ballot initiatives that amend the constitution to force everyone to live their way. ..."

Uh, yeah, that's why they supported Jerry Falwell's efforts to overturn [is that the term?] the efforts of the courts to make not-for-profit religions GIVE AWAY their literature, instead of charging people for the magazines...

Yeah, they acted as "friends of the defense" [whatever the legal term for that, is...] and gave financial and legal aid to Falwell's defense team....

But NOOOOOOO, they're not supporting ballot initiatives AT ALL - that we KNOW OF...

Zid

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

We all know how active Jehovah's Witnesses feel about this man. They won't tell him to his face. They believe that he practices what is filthy and disgusting. They believe that when Armageddon comes, as early as tomorrow, Jesus will slit his throat and let the birds eat his carcass.

I'm sorry that his mother is mixed up with this destructive organization. He deserves to have parents that love and accept him for who he is. I wish somehow he could read Hassan's book and recognize the destructive nature of this group and many others. All religions are not equal.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Knocking is a marketing product of the watchtower society. The organization is fully backing it, watch the credits of the documentary and the booklet.

Jolene Chu en James Pelechia are coproducer s of the director Engardio.

A gay is ok if it fits the propaganda of the watchtower society.

Gorbatchov

• TheListener
    TheListener

I take exception to this sentence: "So while I'm left with a mom who believes being gay is a sin, I also know she isn't doing anything to block gay people from seeking their fundamental right to marry."

I disagree. She is supporting an organization, and most likely preaching herself, that considers being gay is a serious sin and that God will destroy all individuals living that "choice". She doesn't need to block his right to marry now - she believes he and all the other homosexuals will be dead very soon - all by the hand of God.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Lipstick, pig.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit