Joel P. Engardio's article on JWs (Washington Post)

by behemot 21 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

It's a silly comparison. Witnesses care nothing about any freedom for anyone except themselves. Oppression only matters as a sign of human governments' failure to solve man's problems, and becomes a soapbox for their recruiting drive to stand on. They can talk about how freedom is good, but that's really just freedom for "us" to become "them". Otherwise, they couldn't give a rat's behind.

Yes. That's a great model for how everyone else should be. One thing Mr. Engardio has clearly overlooked: if everyone was like Jehovah's Witnesses, he would have no chance of marrying a man and having it legally recognized. He would be fortunate if a world run by JWs did not kill him for his unnatural, immoral behavior. So...be careful what you wish for, pal.

-sd-7

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

Kissing JW ass.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

His perspective is certainly a little twisted to be sure.

It seems like he is a very positive person though. Anyone capable of decompartmentalizing the fact that the people he is defending will rejoice at his murder by the hand of an invisible monster has a strong ability to rationalize away evil.

The fact he is then able to write complimentary things about them deserves some kudos from at least one angle. I'm trying to figure out what that angle would be though...

Cheers,

The Oracle

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

It seems like he is a very positive person though. Anyone capable of decompartmentalizing the fact that the people he is defending will rejoice at his murder by the hand of an invisible monster has a strong ability to rationalize away evil.

I agree. There's something strange about Mr. Engardio. It's like he is in love with his abuser.

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

Isn't there a medical condition term for this?

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

As a gay ex-witness, I actually sympathize a lot with Mr. Engardio. I suspect our experiences are quite similar.

Each of us has our own unique experiences. For me, my exit was fairly painless. My JW family is good to me and I love them dearly; my love for my family moves me to be overly generous in my assessment of the organization at times.

I realize that JW's view my lifestyle as a sin and believe that I will be destroyed at Armageddon. However, I am happy that JW's do not actively campaign to legally restrict my right to marriage. I can't say that about all other religions. Similarly, unlike some other groups, JW's do not call for humans to carry out violent acts on homosexuals. I appreciate that as well.

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

The guy's a joke. He had a YouTube video claiming that no JW ever votes and that the WT makes it clear in their literature. I cited him the legendary '99 WT flip-flop on voting. As FreeMinds put it: "The 1999 article states six times that the JW has to make their own personal decision regarding whether or not to vote in a political election."

What did Engardio do with my citation? He deleted it.

He has this sugar-coated fantasy version of the WT Society, probably from his mom. But his perception has nothing to do with the reality of what the WT puts its people through and the emotional blackmail they condone.

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

I bet that someone in the GB wanted to vote for Obama.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think his point was that since JW's DON'T vote, it's ok to believe what they believe and that other religious people should have doen the same, which means he could have gay marriage.

He took soemthing that the JW's do that is in HIS BEST INTEREST at THIS point in time and made it an exampel of what HE thinks othe rreligions shoudl do.

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Oooh, PSacramento, I think you pretty much nailed it. Obviously, this guy has some sort of working relationship with his family despite being gay when he knows tons of others who don't because they are gay, when he knows of others who have no relationship with their family due to the stuff teh Watchtower has done, and doesn't even mention it because at least they won't vote against the gays.

Selfish and it shows in his fluff documentary by never mentioning any criticism of anything JW because he knew what he wanted or needed. It would have been interesting if he had made a documentary as a fluff piece and then followed it up with the other side, but nope.

'Knocking' was nothing more than a written love note to his JW mother in an effort to get her to ignore the fact that he's gay and will die on her god's holy war day. Its quite sad, but there are tons of people out there like Mr. Engardio, and sad to say that if his life turns to hell, he would find himself one day back in a kingdom hall.

*shudders* So sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit