I HATE this religion

by brotherdan 388 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I know...Isn't that sad? I could never be a non-thinker like that.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Just an FYI.....according to the 2 elders and 1 sub CO (plus the 3 that were in my appeal) that disfellowshipped me, it only takes being drunk 1 time to be a disfellowshipping matter.

I get what you're saying, but please allow me re-emphasize the truth. It's much simpler than this.

You can be disfellowshipped for ANYTHING that three elders agree upon.

(In Ray Franz's case, the Society even INVENTED a new reason to be DF'd, especially for him.)

• undercover
    undercover
    ...it only takes being drunk 1 time to be a disfellowshipping matter.

Like LWT said, if they really wanna DF you, they'll trump up some bullshit. But back to your point... any DFing offense only takes one instance to make it a judicial committee matter. If you got drunk on your 21st birthday after never having had a drink your entire life and then expressed no regret, remorse or repentance at your actions, then yes, they can DF you.

Technically speaking, using WT lingo - people aren't punished for their committing a DFing transgression. They're DFd for their lack of repentance. If you got drunk on your 21st b-day and then confessed and begged for forgiveness and put on a show of how bad you felt and how Jehovah must be so disappointed in you, then you'll probably get by with a private reproof. You exhibited repentance therefore you won't be DFd.

It's not the actual crime they are punishing you for...their punishing you for your the state of your mind. It's another form of thought control. It keeps you in line. You're afraid to "sin" because of the threat of DFing, but even if you do "slip up", odds are that it wasn't a premeditated act of defiance and they can reprove you and continue to control your thoughts and actions. When one becomes defiant to the point of becoming dangerous to the group-think, they have to cut that from the herd so it cannot influence others to become defiant as well.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

It's interesting that the new elder book tries to teach elders how to tell if a person is just "faking" repentence.

• Ding
    Ding

Dan,

Consider starting a family Bible study time at home with your wife.

How can she object to that? You're just being the spiritual head of your family by doing that, right?

Study the Bible, not WT literature.

Study books in context, such as Romans, Galatians, and Ephesians. Those are 3 books the NWT doesn't butcher as badly as it does some others.

You don't have to say anything against the WTS.

Just pray silently for her and let the Word do its work.

Also, I've sent you a PM.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

She told me that she does not trust me at this point to study with her or the kids. So I'm unsure of what to do.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    It's interesting that the new elder book tries to teach elders how to tell if a person is just "faking" repentence.

The old elder book did it also. It's really the number one reason most elders think the book should not fall into publishers' hands. If the publisher reads the book, they will know what elders are looking for as evidence of genuine repentance and they will learn how to fake that.

The whole organization is typical of compound-style cults in that it is all about distrusting the members to do what is right, having information at higher levels to use against the members, getting the members to turn each other in or even turn themselves in whenever a rule is breached.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

Dan, I get that as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Ding
    Ding

Dan,

Okay, you have to rebuild trust.

You might negotiate ground rules with her where the two of you would just read a passage (maybe a chapter) out loud together and talk to each other about what you got out of the passage.

Suggest trying it with one chapter. If necessary, let her pick the chapter and the book, but get her reading the Bible in context.

If she gets uncomfortable about anything, she can tell you what the problem is and you'll either resolve it to her satisfaction or you'll stop.

Focus on listening to what SHE is seeing in the passage. That can be a good diagnostic to you as to where she's at spiritually.

You'll have to restrain yourself from pushing too hard. but still you can mirror key passages such as, "Hey, that sounds cool: There's no condemnaton for those who are in Christ Jesus." Leave it there. See if she responds. Hopefully, she'll see that the WT gospel is far better than the "good news" pushed by the WTBTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit