Today's (4/12) WT study - all about Jesus

by OneEyedJoe 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Island Man
    Island Man

I agree with your analysis, OneEyedJoe.

But I think they also shot themselves in the foot in the process by also drawing attention to their cooky teaching that Jesus is Michael the Archangel (paragraphs 5 and 6).

Also, it doesn't sound right that they love to refer to Jesus as a "spirit creature" (paragraph 5). In modern use, the word creature very often carries the connotation of that which is animalistic, sub-human. "Creature" is what you use to refer to some strange animal or insect you encounter in your backyard. "Creature" is the word used to refer to some weird looking alien being in a sci-fi movie. That Watchtower continues to use the term "spirit creature" to refer to Jesus betrays their very low emotional intelligence and their lack of genuine esteem for Jesus. Why not call him a "spirit person"? They have to use the word creature because of their paranoid anti-trinitarian fixation on making the point that he was created - even when referring to Jesus in a context far removed from the topic of his nature as a subordiinate creation of God. Doctrine takes primacy over honoring Jesus in an emotionally intelligent manner.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@ a watcher, "You diss us when we DON'T talk about Jesus and you diss us when we DO!"

The Jesus of the Watchtower, regardless of how often he's mentioned, is not the Jesus of the New Testament. JW doctrine clearly states that the Ransom is only intended for an elite - the 144,000. There is no emphasis of Jesus as Lord and savior or of you having to accept him into your heart to the exclusion of all else such as men - organizations of men.

So no matter how often or how little they mention Jesus, he doesn't receive the respect that the New Testament commands.

PS: Atheist speaking.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

a watcher: You hypocrites! (Matt 15:7)

Um, don't you know that you're not supposed to be here?

Maybe you wanna look up that word "hypocrite" and see what it means!

• a watcher
    a watcher

V.I., you're misunderstanding JW's position about the ransom.

We believe in 1John 2:2---"And he is a propitiatory sacrifice (ransom) for our sins (the anointed), yet not for ours only but also for the whole world's."

The ransom is for EVERYONE who will "worship the Father with spirit and truth." (John 4:23)

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@ a watcher, "The ransom is for EVERYONE who will "worship the Father with spirit and truth." (John 4:23)"

One of the better JW scholars on this forum might be able to research this. I have a feeling that it's one of those doctrines that the Watchtower has flip flopped on. My main point is that they don't emphasize Jesus to the extent that the epistles do where he is the primary focus. Contrast this to the Watchtower's fixation with itself and their using Jehovah as a sock puppet.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

The doctrine is that the ransom is FOR the anointed, but the OS are fringe beneficiaries of it. It's always explained in a way that subtly makes the r/f jws feel lesser, but they have no choice but to accept it since they still get "sayings of eternal life" out of the deal.

A watcher - you should really do your own study, so I'm not going to do the busy work for you. You really need to be more spiritual and come to an understanding of the deeper things. Keep at it and soon you'll be eating solid food and not the milk meant for mere babes.

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung
    Yeah yeah, the ransom is for everyone, but you need to belong to Jehovah's witnesses to receive it... who then want to take Jesus place as mediator, and claim we are not part of the new covenant. Pharisees were small boys compared to what they pull off
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I agree!

The study this week was so carefully constructed to appear very encouraging and "Christlike" in the appeals to be "caring, and supportive of others" etc... And the title of "Imitate Jesus Humility and Tenderness" sounds great, until you read the angle they spin on it!!

Yes, there were some very very very loaded paragraphs such as:

Para 6. explaination of Michael vs the Devil

Para 7 comments on 'arrogant individuals who disdain obedience'...to who?? wait for it.....

Para 8 on has the kicker: "our attitude". humility means we restrain from going beyond our authority."

Para 10 "show our humility by our obedience to those taking the lead in the cong, and accepting and following the direction from jehovahs organization"

Para 15 all about tenderness shown to those in need etc (but only other JWs)...Sounds great? BUT the point is "above all we show such by going in the ministry". yes not helping people with practical things...

Para 17 was just glossed over in our cong! Why? because the elders felt so uncomfortable with the content of it!! "elders do not try and control the sheep, or make rules etc or pressure them to do more!"

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Para 17 was just glossed over in our cong! Why? because the elders felt so uncomfortable with the content of it!! "elders do not try and control the sheep, or make rules etc or pressure them to do more!"

I'm sure that would make any honest elder uncomfortable, since they're constantly told to pressure people to do more. I guess it would also make the typical egotistic elder uncomfortable too since it would be a threat to their authority.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"elders do not try and control the sheep, or make rules etc or pressure them to do more!"

Their pathetic lies never cease.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit