Today's (4/12) WT study - all about Jesus

by OneEyedJoe 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Today's watchtower study article is all about Jesus. This stuck out to me after a year of hanging out on here where one frequent point of criticism is that jws claim to be Christians but never talk about Jesus.

Anyone think it's a coincidence that today was the "special talk" follow-up to the memorial? I think not - this is the most attended Sunday meeting of the year, complete with many UBMs, studies, and miscellaneous other potential victims who have been subjected to a coordinated effort to pressure them into attending. Someone at the top realizes that to draw these people in, you have to appear Christian. Classic bait and switch.

Anyone who doesn't think jws use deceptive recruiting tactics should think again. Just like every other cult, they do. And it goes deeper than just using their own "Bible" and the bait and switch "Bible study" that consists of studying only WT literature and cherry-picked scripture.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Darn it!!

I forgot that the "Special" talk was today.

I would have enjoyed my lay in bed twice as much if I'd remembered!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

OEJ: Anyone who doesn't think jws use deceptive recruiting tactics should think again.

I don't think there are many of those people on this forum.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I don't think there are many of those people on this forum.

Probably not amongst long-time active posters, but I'll admit it took me a while after waking up to realize the level of deceptive recruiting that goes on, and I'm obviously still noticing new layers to it all the time.

It's the trick of the dog whistle - active JWs don't notice it as anything unusual, but visitors are comforted by the familiar emphasis on Jesus. They're able to get the r/f to deceive others without even realizing what they're doing, and I think it's important to call 'em on it.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

OEJ: it took me a while after waking up to realize the level of deceptive recruiting that goes on, and I'm obviously still noticing new layers to it all the time.

Good for you!

As I was "waking up" I committed to really studying every WT "Study Article" intensely, scrutinizing it as carefully as possible, looking for any and all instances of logical fallacies, assertions made without evidence, contradictions and dishonest/misleading statements. I did this religiously for almost two years.

This exercise was eye-opening to say the least.

I found that every single WT study article is an exercise in propaganda. In that two year period, I was not able to find a single solitary article that was not rife with propaganda, lies, fallacies and deceptions. Not one.

Let's review: It's a cult!

-

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    While I lack your dedication, I did something similar for a while. It quickly got to the point that there was no challenge to it and I got bored.
  • Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup
    Darn it!!
    I forgot that the "Special" talk was today.
    I forgot too! I walked in to find the place fuller than usual and people all dressed up! I then realized the type of jw I've become...Not so long ago, it used to be a biiig deal for me.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

OEJ: It quickly got to the point that there was no challenge to it and I got bored.

Shooting fish in a barrel.

• a watcher
    a watcher

You hypocrites! (Matt 15:7)

You diss us when we DON'T talk about Jesus and you diss us when we DO!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    You diss us when we DON'T talk about Jesus and you diss us when we DO!

We point out that, for those claiming to be Christian, Christ is not a focus. When he is a focus, it is only in a transparent and dishonest attempt to appear more Christian. Have an ounce of intellectual honesty, and stop over simplifying things.

Also, learn what a hypocrite is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit