why i became an athiest after leaving the jehovah's witnesses

by molly1 18 Replies latest jw friends

• molly1
  • pirata
    pirata

no reason? or posting from an iphone?

• pirata
    pirata

Regardless, molly1, welcome to the board! I read your story on your first post, and it provides hope for others with mates still in the truth. Thanks for sharing!

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Maybe there really is no valid reason...

Welcome BTW...

V665

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I see you have been here awhile, but are low in the posting, so welcome.

After examining the JW doctrines, I examined the Bible and found it lacking. I found that serious Christianity is not much different from JW's in dismissing real scientific evidence of how we came to be. That's the short story.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

A few days after becoming a Born in Christian, I read a passage about Jesus vandalising a fig tree, cross-referenced it with another passage about the same incident, and realised that the collection of old books I was reading was nothing more than man's thoughts about god.

Welcome to the forum, Molly

• debator
    debator

For me If people turn to Atheism after witnesses (or any religion) this speaks more of a an inate lack of belief in God rather than issues with Religion. How could any person destroy our belief God? For me you either believe or you don't.

• ambersun
    ambersun

Welcome Molly1!

Maybe, like me, you are not sure why you have become an athiest, but are one never the less?

When I realised 'The Truth' had no truth in it whatsoever, my bubble burst and it was like a young child discovering that Santa does not exist.

Some ex JWs turn to other faiths when they leave, but I just switched off altogether. In some ways I envy people with a strong faith, whatever religion they belong to. However, like Black Sheep I can't help feeling that the bible is no more than a collection of books written by a bunch of men in the middle east a very long time ago. There were people living all over the world at that time, why would God be so obsessed with the middle east and ignore everyone else? What was the point of all the other continents and the people living on them when God was only interested in one geographical region? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Debator has a point though, it is probably wrong to blame an Organisation for the fact that I no longer believe in God.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

debator - Some people need more than just believe, or they are just not satisfied with the answers given about raised bible issues, its the person's decision, I think that this is also part prophecy, we wouldn't want to be part of old jerusalem would we?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    How could any person destroy our belief God?

It was the people who wrote the Bible who destroyed my illusions/belief.

Just because I was born in a country, or family, of a certain religious persuasion, doesn't mean they had truth.

When you break free from a high control cult, is it really a good idea to cherry pick the doctrines/prophesies/gods/devils that you like, just because of an accident of birth?

Would it be OK to do that if you were born to followers of Islam, debator???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit