why i became an athiest after leaving the jehovah's witnesses

by molly1 18 Replies latest jw friends

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Hi Molly - It's an understandable reaction to throw throw baby out with the bath water. I would be interested in hearing why you became an atheist after leaving Jehovah's witnesses.

When I left the Watchower I was not bitter towards them or religion. I visited many Christian churches and restudied the Bible. I then embarked on a 10 year study of world religions including eastern, Zen Buddhism and Tao. Most faiths present a philosophy for living in harmony with ourselves and other people. I am no longer attached to any religious movement and no longer pray to a personal God.

Even so, I find that understanding can be enhanced by being humble and open to possibilities. Having lost your faith, you now have to find balance in your life. Gentleness, love and kindness are qualities that are a part of most believers lives. What they share can be beneficial to you, and help you to maintain your awe of being a part of something wonderful.

Please take your time and don't rush to find a new lable for yourself.

• designs
    designs

For sorting out humans quest for understanding our place in the big picture and to understand the common thread that runs through the need for religion and ritual read some of Joseph Campbell's works: The Mask of God, The Hero With A Thousand Faces, The Power of Myth.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

designs Just googled Joseph Campbell and noted that he made most of his citations from the writings of CG Jung. I have a hard bound book by Robert Johnston called Balancing Heaven and Earth. He was a student of Jung. He too explains the meaning of myth and religion.

Thanks for your post. I will look into your recommendation.

• designs
    designs

Hi Gladiator, The Power Of Myth really helped me sort out my own journey and to see how I was no different than anyone else with their fascination and repulsion to religion. Somewhere back in time you and I and everyone else had the same ancestors sitting around a fire banging on a log thanking the sky for a good hunt or crop.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

For crying out loud Black Sheep, you became an atheist just because of that stupid fig tree, even I agree with Cameo and Tec.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Where you gone molly? I will lay awake tonight wondering why you became an atheist after leaving Jehovah's witnesses.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I became an atheist for the biscuits. I'll never go back.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I became an atheist while I was still IN the Jehovah's Witnesses!!!

Zid

• xchange
    xchange

How does one have an innate belief in god anyways?

I didn't have an innate belief in satan claus. I learned about that dude through friends, pop culture, media etc etc. Same thing with god.

Insufficient evidence for god as far as I'm concerned. Leaving (or kicked out - take your pick) the witnesses didn't have anything to do with my deconversion however.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit