Discussion with my JW sister last night...

by Hecklerboy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

So my sister calls me and proceeds to tell me all about everything going on in her life. All about her job and her apartment search. Tells me about my nephews demonstration at the CA this past weekend. Even sent me a pic of it.

So I decide to tell her about something great happening to me next month. I'm being inducted into the E.U.S.A.I.M.A.A. Black Belt Hall of Fame for my dedication to the martial arts.

Immediately she go off on how Jehovah doesn't approve of karate and I'll just end up killing someone. Of course I explain how the witnesses are totally ignorant about martial arts and if they actually studied them they would see that karate is about self-defense. She actually had the nerve to ask if I knew what karate was all about. I told her I've been studying karate for over 5 years and know allot about it. Then she started on how I'm going to be destroyed by God if I don't change my ways. Of course I informed her that I don't believe that anymore and the the witnesses spend their life waiting of the end of the world and the death of 6 billion people.

Then we got into some doctrinal discussion. Everything we talked about she just kept talking about new light and how they have a better understanding now. Of course I told her that is a bunch of lies just to cover up there failed prophesies. We talked about disfellowshipping, the UN, and who would be destroyed at the big A.

I finally ended it with informing her that I'm very happy and that the world is not wicked and full of wicked people. There are allot of wonderful people in this world and the witnesses just need to open thier eye and see how happy people can be. I also told her I was going to enjoy my life now and live life to the fullest and if her God wants to destroy me for that then that his problem.

It was a pretty heated conversation and didin't end well. I called her back later and apologized for upsetting her. We have agreed to not discuss religion from now on. Although she accused me of looking at apostate website so who knows if she will tell anybody. Not that I care. I haven't had any contact with the witness for over 15 years and my family has very little to do with me.

I never did get a congrats from my sister.

Sorry for the long story. Just needed to vent.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Sorry your conversation did not go well.

Congratulations.

• Ding
    Ding

Sounds to me like she loves you but has nothing but Watchtower programming through which to express it.

Sad.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Congratulations! That IS an accomplishment.

I'm sorry your conversation wasn't pleasant with your sister, but if anything, you still know that the mind control tactics are as strong as ever with the JWs.

• mrsjones5
  • MMXIV
    MMXIV

Totally understand how frustrating it must be. Your sister is allowed to talk about what she thinks is a success but won't acknowledge your's and instead tries to run it down? You phoned her back - show's who is the mature one.

I grew up with ignorance about martial arts. I now have several friends who teach martial arts and am aware that it can do a great deal of good for those who make the effort to learn. I have seen each of these people in incredibly stressful situations and they never lost their cool or resorted to violence as the JW cliche's would have suggested.

Congratulations! That IS an accomplishment.

MMXIV

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

my (jw) MIL put her kid in karate,so we did it too.

we are putting our kids in it for the "fitness"

• Ding
    Ding

My advice would be to keep trying to connect with your sister on a human level, like about what's happening with her job, her apartment search, and your nephew...

You know she's going to go into her WT teaching mode at some point.

When she does, you might say something like, "Okay, fine. Talk to you later."

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Congratulations on your HoF induction. That's awesome!

For future discussions with your sister, do not "tell her" anything about JWs or the WT. Ask questions sincerely. Choose questions that will create and build up the cognitive dissonance all JWs hide within them.

Always question.

• sabastious
    sabastious

It's a very painful experience, communicating with JW family after you leave the Org.

They have no real communication skills. They don't know how to engage in honest debate because all they have been taught is to attack other belief systems. It's all they know and it can hurt when you see your loved one yapping on like that! Because you know who they are inside, you know that they are a kind, gentle person.

But they are just confused, and have been lied to.

They just need TLC! Keep on truckin and gratz on the MA accomplishment.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit