Discussion with my JW sister last night...

by Hecklerboy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

The Eastern U.S.A. International
    Martial Arts Association, Inc .

FOr those slow like me

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Good for you! Nice touch to apologize for upsetting her - not for living your life.

Congrats!

I was going to enjoy my life now and live life to the fullest and if her God wants to destroy me for that then that his problem.

LOL

• blondie
    blondie

A side note, a sister in my last congregation started taking Tai Chi and was told that it was a martial art. She refused to believe it even when shown in reliable reference material. She said that those were lies from devil and still continues Tai Chi. I am amazed at how jws can twist the facts to suit themselves.

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

I am sorry to hear that you upset your sister but I do think that you put your points across very well, there may just be something that will niggle her mind and rethink things, who knows.

I also think it was the right move to apologise for upsetting her because that was not your aim and it also shows how decent you are and she can't even think that you have now become a "horrible" person since leaving. Well done.

LI

• carla
    carla

She actually had the nerve to ask if I knew what karate was all about. I told her I've been studying karate for over 5 years and know allot about it. -- sheer arrogance of jw rears its ugly head yet again.

Congratulations on your accomplishment!

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Reading your post Heckler reminded me of Jacob and Esau. Not that I'm viewing you or your sister as Esau per say, but considering that Jacob was able to have some sort of reconciliation with Esau despite their history, JWs should be able to do the same. Esau respected his brother's accomplishments, and vice versa on Jacob's part. Despite their different outlooks on life, they were able to be cordial with one another after it was all said and done. JWs are so ingrained with the mentality of always being right and always letting every one else know they are that they at times come off smug without realizing it.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Thanks for the congats everyone. I teach karate twice a week and compete on a regular basis.

One weird thing she ask me to do is to go on the JW website and type in questions. I said if I did she might not like the answer I get. (thinking about looking up who our mediator is. We all know that the borg says that Jesus is the mediator for the anointed only). She told me not to tell he what I find. Thought that was a little strange. She doesn't even want to know what the borg says if it conflicts with her own belief.

We also discussed how the borg changes their doctrine. I mentioned organ transplants and how thousands of JW's died because they weren't allowed a transplant and then the borg changes their mind. She of course said the light get brighter. I ask her why God told them the wrong thing and all those people had to die for no reason. I ask who was going to held accountable. She actually said the God might hold the borg responsible.

Another thing I mentioned was we were never supposed to be 40 years old. We didn't go to college because the end was right around the corner. She had no explanation for that. I'm hopping I made her think a little. To be honest, I really don't expect to hear from her much now, exept if she needs money.

Thanks again for the congrats!!

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

To be honest, I really don't expect to hear from her much now, exept if she needs money.

Classic.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Well at least it's kind of on the table now. Unfortunately trying to reach a JW (relative in particular) is probably like if you were trying to teach how someone is using their body in a very wrong way. It's like if they were "trained" in a "martial art" that is actually very detrimental to their health, and they might want to fight with you but you actually have their well being at heart. Even though you have real training it's probably best not to approach it in terms of martial arts or religious issues, at least not directly. (other religions as examples possibly, then at a future point maybe draw the parallel) It can be done, but of course the tricky thing is getting through rather than winning since it may just be too much and they may be even more defensive as a result.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Blondie that's interesting, it's understandable in a way because the principle of Tai Chi is to not use force but redirect, and at the heart of it the principle is opposites always flow into each other. I don't know if they just do forms or if there's any push-hands involved, (since that lesson is best appreciated through interaction) and while the religion is likely very compartmentalized in their mind, maybe that will inform them about how life works at some point since it's a totally different principle from the one sided view of the JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit