How credible is the wt claim to be chosen by Christ in 1919.

by coffee_black 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Ding
    Ding

I agree with Black Sheep.

You can't teach a JW anything because they're sure they have the truth and you don't.

Use questions instead.

The monkey is on their backs to come up with answers to prove they've got the truth.

Of course, they won't be able to do it, but let them try.

Make sure the questions aren't stated sarcastically (a real temptation, I know).

I've found that a good diagnostic question is, "Do you see why this puzzles (bothers, troubles, etc.) me?"

Usually they'll say "no" because they don't want to concede anything, but not always."

I once had a dub say, "Yes, I don't agree with you but I can see how you might think that."

His partner stared a hole through him.

The one who admitted he saw where I was coming from eventually came out.

He told me later, "I didn't agree with you at the time, but I could see the issue wasn't as one-sided as the Watchtower tried to portray it."

Even if that's all the farther you get, you've accomplished a lot merely by asking questions for which the WTS has no good answers.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

When I was first researching I showed my x (an active jw) the Finished Mystery and pointed out the front cover. Then I pulled out a book on Egyptology and showed him what the symbol was. His eyes got really big. He jumped up off of the couch and literally ran out of the door. He is still a jw today, almost 20 years later. They will not see what they do not want to see.

Coffee

• whathappened
    whathappened

I just got finished reading Captive of a Concept and I loved it. I would recommend it to anyone. I got the pdf of lulu.com for only $7. Well worth the money. Lot's of good points and reasoning. It is helping me recover.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Do they state why they came to the conclusion other than listing the differing calculations? When did time counts matter more than the love and grace of Chirst? I was raised a JW so it was this is the way it is. Accept it or be severely punished. Do they ever not preach to the choir? Perhpaps only the choir will listen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit