December 2010 Awake Homosexuality

by bottleofwater 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

Anyone have a good read of the YPA article on homosexuality?

Is it just me or is the doctrine becoming more lenient and less dogmatic?

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I have not read it. Can you post it?

I heard an excellent quote yesterday "Why is it we have no trouble viewing a picture of two men holding machine guns, yet we have a problem when two men are holding hands?"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You beat me to the button, bottleofwater (Welcome ! BTW) I was preparing to start a thread on this subject ..compare what they have said in the past

Wt 1970 5/15 p313

"The Christian Greek Scriptures are just as explicit as to how detestable homosexuality is in the sight of Jehovah God: .......
    homosexuality is something detestable, both to Jehovah God and moral man."

But in these days of political correctness and potential lawsuits for printing things deemed homophobic (in some countries anyway) this December 2010 Awake says :

"If someone asks: “What’s your view of homosexuality?” You might reply: “I don’t hate homosexuals,
    but I can’t approve of their conduct

Remember: If you’re guided by the Bible’s moral code, then that is your lifestyle choice, and you have a right to it. (Joshua 24:
    15) Don’t feel ashamed of your view.—Psalm 119:46.

Q] Shouldn’t Christians treat all people with respect, regardless of their sexual orientation?
    A] Absolutely. The Bible says: “Honor men of all sorts” or, as Today’s English Version renders it, “Respect everyone.” (1 Peter
    2:17) Therefore, Christians are not homophobic. They show kindness to all people,"

I am sure the internal beliefs are not changing, and the attitude of the older dubs is as firm as ever....but they see the need to give out a softer message in print

• undercover
    undercover
    Is it just me or is the doctrine becoming more lenient and less dogmatic?

I quickly skimmed it. Didn't do an in-depth study of it.

What struck me was that it seemed they were trying to balance 'hating' the sin, but not judging the 'sinner'. Which, depending on how far back one goes with the organization, is less dogmatic.

Another thing they addressed, but never sufficiently answered was the issue about being born gay. They didn't want to comment one way or the other on the possibility of it, but still decreed that one could not 'practice' it and be a Christian JW. This point definitely seemed very wishy-washy. Not willing to deny that you can be born that way, but not allowing for that possibility either. It was sorta like... "we don't know but even if you can, you can't practice it and be accepted".

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It is important to remember that Awake! is the public relations arm of the Borg. Nothing that appears in it applies to Jehovah's Witness behavior. It merely reflects the view that the Borg wants the public to have of their organization.

A practicing homosexual will be disfellowshipped from the "Christian" congregation and treated as spiritually dead today just as he was 10, 20, or more years ago. There is no change in stance, doctrine, or policy. There is only change in the publicly shown face of the WTS.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

T he article stated: "

If someone asks: ' Doesn’t your view of homosexuality encourage prejudice against gays?' You might reply: ' Not at all. I reject homosexual conduct, not people.' You could add: 'To illustrate it, I also choose not to smoke. In fact, I find the very idea of it repugnant. But suppose you’re a smoker and you feel differently. I wouldn’t be prejudiced against you for your view, just as I’m sure you wouldn’t be prejudiced against me for my view—am I right?'"

The WTS has not changed their views. Just like a jw who smokes can be df, so can a homosexual. This article is designed for jw to reach out and convert homosexuals to WTS beliefs, not a changing of the WTS beliefs to approve of homosexuality.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

The hating of bad conduct and not the person is nothing new for the WTS. They have always wanted individuals to live by WTS rules which means that conduct is the issue.

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

does anyone know how to change your profile picture?

• pirata
    pirata

bottleofwater, welcome to the forum!

• pirata

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit