"The FDS has lovingly given us time"

by Crisis of Conscience 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

I am not surprised that the rank and file are not obediently having a family worship night. jws were never that consistent conducting a family study. I can remember an elder said at the service meeting that he had sorted out all the bible study slips of families with unbaptized children living at home, that is there were no slips..."Brothers and sisters, let's not forget to turn those slips in, with one parent being able to count 4 hours monthly." It wasn't that they had the study and forgot to turn the slip in, there had been no study. I knew brothers who would count the 4 hours so they would get to the national average, and continue to qualify as MS and elders.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

@ miseryloveselders - In the past 6 months, I would venture to say that this is about the 3rd time we have a local needs dealing with this. I guess the major problem in the hall, or even sin, is getting people to be regular at this.

Oh yea, and I don't remember when I last studied for a meeting, unless I was assigned to read.

CoC

You know, I personally do it still because I don't think its a bad habit to read the Bible regular at all. People can say whatever they will about JWs, much of the negative being true, but one thing is certain. Compared to a bunch of other Christian denominations, JWs know their Bible better than most, even if they have the wrong ideas on much of it. If I didn't study for the meeting nights, I'd probably fall out of the habit considerably, if not all together.

But yeah COC, believe it when I say it, this "arrangement" did not work out according to plan.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

@ elderelite - That's the holy spirit backing you up!

What a joke, huh?

CoC

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Compared to a bunch of other Christian denominations, JWs know their Bible better than most, even if they have the wrong ideas on much of it.

They know the Bible well enough to staunchly defend their doctrine. What you say gives the idea like the JWs have "well rounded" Bible knowledge, when this is just simply not the case.

They have a lot bias Biblical prowess.

-Sab

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

They know the Bible well enough to staunchly defend their doctrine. What you say gives the idea like the JWs have "well rounded" Bible knowledge, when this is just simply not the case.

They have a lot bias Biblical prowess.

-Sab

Hey Sav, thats why I said, "even if they have the wrong ideas on much of it." Yeah I agree with you that its mostly to defend their doctrine. However to be fair, I'd say the average rank and file JW knows their Bible than the average Catholic, Baptist, whomever. I'm speaking from a northeast locality, so I don't know how knoledgeable folks are in the deep south and Bible Belt. Down there, they seem to be a little more dedicated than up here where I'm at.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Sry MLE, I read the word "dates" in place of "ideas" for some reason,

my bad.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I'd say the average rank and file JW knows their Bible than the average Catholic, Baptist, whomever.

That's because those other Christians know better than to defend the entire Bible

-Sab

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

MLE - I agree that it is good to keep up with Bible reading. But that is if you believe in the things you read. I currently do not have much confidence in a lot of the stories in the Bible.

It doesn't hurt to consider the things that will benefit my marriage, friendships, etc. - namely life.

But other than that, I'm through with JW literature study at this point in life. I will research the Society, but I don't feel like filling my head with their nonsense ways of explaining things - when I know clearly that it is the way THEY perceive what THEY have read.

That's because those other Christians know better than to defend the entire Bible

-Sab

Completely agree Sab.

CoC

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

they are always trying to make the friends feel guilty.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Really we are lucky just to breathe the same air as the FDS. And when they fart it smells like roses!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit