Do you think the Governing Body is having internal conflicts?

by stuckinamovement 48 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

I ask because the number of GB is lower than any time in history. Basically with the 7 (8 counting Barr, is his head frozen?) currently on,you have an average size elder body. I know that many elder body's are not unified, cooperative groups. There is always one elder who runs the show and oftentimes there are very heated discussions.

It is crazy that 7 self appointed men in Brooklyn, have exclusive control over 7 million followers. It makes me think of the saying; power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. It is telling that there have not been any recent appointments. Maybe there is a power struggle within?

Or do you think that most of the work is being done by the assistants and the Governing Body is simply GB Emeritus?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

One thing that makes me wonder about an internal conflict is a drama we had a couple years back.

A made-up character named Scolios was promoting ideas that sounded benevolent but in the end he was revealed to be promoting false worship.

It really made me think that there must be some higher-ups that feel we should be doing more for the community as other churches have done, such as establishing hospitals.

I wonder if a younger crowd takes over the WT that some of the unreasonable hardline stances will be challenged.

I doubt it, but one can only hope.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I think the GB is having issues simply from the fact that the new system was supposed to be here already. They didn't plan this thing for the long run.

Now they have to deal with changing times and they are making some big adjustments -- closing Halls, moving headquarters, selling off property, cutting back on the publications. The Internet has made information available that wasn't accessible before. So more people can find out the real truth quickly and easily. I suspect more changes are coming. With the 'young people leaving in droves' (as per my Dad's CO), and a lot of people aging, they have issues with people being able to 'step up' to taking on responsibilities.

It would be really interesting to know if they, too, question why Armageddon hasn't arrived yet.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

It would be really interesting to know if they, too, question why Armageddon hasn't arrived yet.

Hey, GB, all you gotta do is log on here and find out why! Apparently they haven't been monitoring this site closely enough.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Hey, GB, all you gotta do is log on here

I wonder if they know how to use a computer.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

They're conflicted about how hard to laugh, as they go to the bank.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I think the GB are mere figureheads. There are others who are really running the show.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Time is always the enemy of a false prophet and these guys are out of time. Nothing they have predicted has ever come true. I think that they are conficted in what direction they should go. There is probably a lot of finger pointing going on about who is to blame for the situation they find themselves in.

• JimmyPage
  • miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I think the GB are mere figureheads. There are others who are really running the show.

I wonder about this sometimes too. Possibly heavyweights in the legal department that realize the potential for lawsuits if they go too liberal, too quick especially in the realm of blood transfusions, and organized shunning. What makes me think this is unlikely though, is from sitting in Elder meetings. From my own experience, and that which was relayed to me by others, most Elder meetings have a couple blowhards who dominate the body. They have their man-whores who will go whatever which way they demand. Sometimes the COBOE formerly the PO is spineless, and he'll go whichever way the wind blows so long as its less trouble for him. Others on the body with less than dynamic personalites, or humble fellows with good hearts will often concede to the more honcho elders on the body. As a result, often congregations suffer. Every now and then a CO with a chip on his shoulder, or with a good heart will come and break those Elder bodies up. Considering all of that, why wouldn't it be the same at the GB level? The only difference is there's nobody to check their hand, with the exception of maybe the Legal Department.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit