how many in your cong had nervous breakdowns?

by highdose 58 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

Of the congregation i spent my life in i would say a good 75% had nervous breakdowns at some point. And often there was never really a obivous reason for it. Well not that we JW's could understand at the time.

Even the queen bee's/ elderettes were not immune to this.

What about you?

• Newborn
    Newborn

Yep, many, including my husband...

I think the pressure from the borg causes a lot of the breakdowns No one can live up to those standards...

• nelly136
    nelly136

i think there were quite a few with some sort of disorders depression stress etc, not sure i'd call them all nervous breakdowns though, i can only think of one who ended up committed after a total breakdown.

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I know 4 off the top of my head... there's probably more. All are now free because of it.

To any lurkers reading this, just sit in the KH car park eating the daffodils and remark how everything's shiny.

You won't regret it.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I know of one. This was back in the 70s and the poor woman was judged to be demonised. These days, she would have received appropriate medication and care.

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

For a certainty, not anywhere near enough.

Cheeses.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I had one about 15 years ago. That was due to work more than congregational pressures. However, the constant JW routine didn't help.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

There were lots that I knew of. I found it was mostly the sisters who had them because of coping with the strict routine of meetings, service, etc and taking the kids along too. Also this was especially true if the hubby was an elder or a servant which means he was probably neglecting the families needs for those of the congregation.

I remember once talking to a few sisters in the kh bathroom, there must have been 7 of us. And 6 mentioned they were on depression meds or anxiety meds. what struck me at the time was how the society always called us the "happiest people on earth" and yet almost everyone I knew was on some time of medication, meaning they are NOT happy with their lives.

So I began to think about my worldly acquantances and family and I could not think of even one person on medication. This is one of the things that started to really open up my eyes that all is not right in WT land. Peace, Lilly

• blondie
    blondie

self-diagnosed?

"diagnosed" by non medical people in the congregation?

guessing?

Unless you have access to someone's medical records or they report they were diagnosed by a doctor, I avoid assessing anyone's mental status.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

I am sure there are a lot and I hope they get the help they need, not from the BOE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit