how many in your cong had nervous breakdowns?

by highdose 58 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Three suicides in mine, and two in the congregation that shared the hall with us.

I knew of at least 3-4 people who were on antidepressants.

• steve2
    steve2

A "breakdown" is simply another way of saying, "THis is getting too much. Give me a break". The term "nervous breakdown" covers so many different things that it is virtually meaningless. It is not used in any of the current clinical mental-health literature.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV
    The term "nervous breakdown" covers so many different things that it is virtually meaningless. It is not used in any of the current clinical mental-health literature.

Perhaps the term has no scientific meaning but it's still applicable to real life. It means somone had to be hospitalized because life has become unbearable, regardless of the specific cause.

V665

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

A "breakdown" is simply another way of saying, "THis is getting too much. Give me a break".

I agree, A breakdown, rather than being some sort of personal weakness or a character flaw, is nothing other than the body forcing the individual to address something that has been ignored for too long. Same as it would if you ran a marathon without drinking any water...the abuse can only last for so long.

• Gorki
    Gorki

Next few years after I decided to leave the madness within the Org 16 years ago number of people got nervous breakdown. At least two very hardline or radical elders. Also many pioneers and others. Mental illness like depression and paranoia were very common all the time I stayed in, even with indiviuals grown up in the Org. I asked Jehovah why it was so in the "truth". Later I understood. Am sure Jehovah allowed me to leave. The time outside has not been easy but I´m still alive and a stronger and healthyer person.

• jam
    jam

I have mention this before, my breakbown came when I was assign to read to the cong.

A disfellowship, a dear friend . I pass out before I could read it in front of the cong. The next

day I went to the Doctor and he told me I need to slow up or slow down, this was A warning. I did not

heed his advise, as a result It cause permanent nerve damage and other problems.

So much for being with the happest people in the world.

• steve2
    steve2
    Perhaps the term has no scientific meaning but it's still applicable to real life. It means somone had to be hospitalized because life has become unbearable, regardless of the specific cause.

I agree in part. Everyone has an opinion on this sort of topic - and often more heat than light is generated.

There are no fixed criteria about what has to happen before people experience a "nervous breakdown" and severely mentally impaired persons do not always have access to hospital or residential care, anyway.

The question about "how many" JWs have had mental health issues has a very unscientific history of speculation, anecdotal evidence and wishful thinking. All sorts of factors need to be taken into account when we attempt to understand how a person "ends up" with a mental health diagnosis. Some people have asserted that the JW lifestyle "causes" mental health problems, ignoring other potential explanatory factors such as the individual's pre-JW history and influences. The other angle that is less known is "resilience factors" - factors that protect the individual from being vulnerable to stress-related ilnesses, inlcuding mental health diagnoses.

• 1Robinella
    1Robinella

I've noticed that it's usually from people that try to be "perfect." Always going to meetings, service, commenting, doing demostrations, assembly parts, etc. After a while they can't take all that pressure. That's just my opinion but I'm sure there are many, including me.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

A very good friend of mine went missing. When they found him he was very disoriented. I don't know what caused the breakdown, but I suspect his congregation responsibilities contributed greatly. Poor guy is still trapped in the cult all these years later.

• blondie
    blondie

Question

Nervous breakdown: What does it mean?

What does it mean to have a nervous breakdown?

Answer

from Daniel K. Hall-Flavin, M.D.

The term "nervous breakdown" is sometimes used to describe a state in which a person is so severely and persistently distraught that he or she is unable to function at a normal level. Nervous breakdown isn't a medical term, however, nor does it indicate a specific mental illness.

Often, a nervous breakdown indicates depression. Signs and symptoms of depression may include:

• Loss of interest in normal daily activities
    • Agitation or restlessness
    • Persistent crying
    • Appetite changes
    • Sleep disturbances
    • Trouble concentrating and making decisions

If you're concerned that you're experiencing a nervous breakdown, seek medical attention. If you have a primary care doctor, talk to him or her about your signs and symptoms — or seek help from a mental health provider.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nervous-breakdown/AN00476

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit