Online Dating: Tried It?

by daringhart13 32 Replies latest social relationships

• White Dove
    White Dove

AS1,

Good idea!

Flippers met on E-Harmony.

Online dating sounds like that's all it's about. I'd rather think that people meet online and then make arrangements to meet in person.

• highdose
    highdose

i tried it and met nothing but people wanting one night stands/ nutters and weridos

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

I've tried it, love it. Met some awesome people on there, some are still friends.

Met a couple of strange ones, but you meet those people anywhere!

This ad sums up my thoughts on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr9so_TWEY

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Thanks for the responses.

It seems that most of the women just want to have some sex....... I guess I didn't expect that LOL

Weird dynamic.

I don't have problem meeting women......I just haven't met one I want a relationship with......so I figured "why not?"

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I've done it. I had a date last week, in fact. There were no sparks but he was a nice guy and I'm glad I did it to help get my feet wet.

I think it is a good way for singles to make introductions to one another. You can put in all your search preferences and pre-screen all your deal-breakers out up front. When you approach someone attractive in a store or restaurant, you have no idea if they are available or interested in dating. You have no idea what kind of a person they are or what their interests are. On-line dating services do the first step (which is the hardest) for you. Everyone there is presumably single and looking. You can weed out people you don't find physically attractive or who creep you out by what they've said about themselves without all the risk and embarrassment of approaching strangers. You can select people who have already said they have interests in common with you.

That being said, always meet somewhere public and low-key on first date, such as coffee shop. Don't just carry on an email or chat relationship. People can pretend to be anything and even if they are 100% truthful, physical chemistry is something that you cannot judge on-line. It is necessary to meet to get a true sense of a person.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Daringhart:

Women can have just a strong a sex drive as men. Sometimes stronger. It's good not to generalize. There are always people on those sites who come right out and say they don't want a relationship, just sex. As if having sex isn't having a relationship. I think what they mean is they don't want a commitment. Which is fine. As long as both people are up front about it. I would rather someone be up front about this so that people who are looking for more of a committed monogamous relationship don't waste their time with them.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Thanks Cogs,

Yes...I agree women have that strong drive too......I guess it just took me off guard a little....I wasn't expecting it so boldly.

I've been disappointed in the results....but I'm guessing timing is everything. I've had a couple of dates in the last two weeks, but none from the site...... I guess I was thinking there might be better results......but glad to hear that you've done it and have been somewhat successful :)

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yup, Cog is absolutely right and has some really good ideas.

I've never tried online meeting (I don't think dating is a good description of what goes on) before.

But meeting people in person is yielding nada or sleaze bags.

My dating life is dead but my goal is to meet a potential monogamous relationship oriented person.

Sounds like going online is the best idea.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yup, Cog is absolutely right and has some really good ideas.

I've never tried online meeting (I don't think dating is a good description of what goes on) before.

But meeting people in person is yielding nada or sleaze bags.

My dating life is dead but my goal is to meet a potential monogamous relationship oriented person.

Sounds like going online is the best idea.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

White Dove, I think the type of dating service one joins is also very important. I've seen some that were exclusively for married people who want to cheat discreetly, no strings. I've seen others that are all young people putting up naked pictures of themselves. I think there are some that cater to more middle aged professional people who are looking for the same. E-Harmony will not even let separated people join. You have to be legally divorced.

I should also stress there are plenty of sleaze bags on line. I was talking to one man by email for about a week. I got red flags from him because he kept calling me Dear and Honey, and capitalizing True Love which I thought was all premature for a weeks conversation with someone I had never met. Sure enough, within a week, he had some emergency while out of country and hit me up to wire him some money to the UK. Yeah, like I was born yesterday. I told him I was a poor student living on a student loan and had no money to lend. Never heard from him again. (I blocked him anyway, just in case)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit