The Annointed - how do they know?

by Listener 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

To me this is a serious matter as the annointed are the basis of how the Organization is set up and operates. Yet I have great difficulty in understanding how these people know that they are annointed. Does the bible actually say that they will know?

Now back in the early 1900's witnesses all thought they were going to heaven so when they learnt that they weren't and only a chosen few were how did they then come to know if they as individuals were or weren't?

I have been told it is through God's holy spirit that they know but how can they be certain? Given that they believe God's holy spirit directs them in their understanding and yet their understanding of the bible is not always right and the light keeps getting brighter with new understandings. How can they be sure that their knowledge that they are annointed is clear and an illuminating understanding?

But far more seriously is the status to which they have aligned themselves to. Currently we are all imperfect humans. As an annointed person they are indeed far more privelaged than the rest of us. This is because they have the knowledge that they already have the promise of eternal life now, if they only remain faithfull, now. The rest of us, if we live through Armageddon will again be tested at the end of the thousand years (once we reach perfection) but the annointed will not. Even those that are resurrected into the paradise will be tested, no matter how faithfull they had been originally, such as Moses but this will not be the case for the annointed. I don't have a problem understanding that those going to heaven will not be tested as this would be God's will and he is the one doing the choosing but my problem lies in the idea that these chosen know now that this is their position. Why would God want these chosen to know their predestination at this time? Okay, the apostles knew but I believe the reason was so that Jesus could make it clear as to what God's plans were and besides it was Jesus himself who told them and that could not be refuted.

So when an annointed leaves the JWs do they suddenly feel that they are no longer annointed?

• flipper
    flipper

They don't know. They'll tell you they know - but it's basically BS

• Listener
    Listener

I makes more sense to me that they don't know but maybe they really do.

By saying that they do know they are annointed aern't they also declaring that they have already been judged by God NOW and been found to be deserving of everlasting life?

What is puzzlying, though, is the memorial and how Jesus showed it should be observed, with those selected taking part in the wine and unleavened bread. If they did not know there would be no-one partaking and thus making Jesus' observance obsolete.

• yknot
    yknot

1) the start reading the Bible very intensely and start to apply scriptures to themselves.... 2) They discern the game of the WTS (jaracz)......... 3) some people just happen to be named Christ and thusly are quite literally "Anonited"

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

It's kind of like this:

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Good thread topic. This is a really good indictment of the old white dudes and one token nigga in NY who have our families and hence our lives in a chokehold. You ever see the flick Bubba Hotep? Ossie Davis thinks he's John Friggin Kennedy, and Bruce Campbell thinks he's Elvis Pressley. They're both in a old timer's mental institution. Now imagine if the staff started believing that these two clowns really are who they say they are, can you imagine how insane that would be? Would you put your old loved ones in that facility? Absolutely not. Now look at it from this perspective. Imagine the old timer's mental institution is the Watchtower and Bible Tract Society. Guess who the staff are? Its you and me. We're paying with our money, lives and volunteering our lives to allow several old white men and one token nigga to live a life that most Medicare aged people dream of. These shysters have convinced 7 million people or so to contribute their income and lives because these old fart bastards have stated that they're the annointed representatives of Jehovah.

Let me ask you another question. How do we know that Jehovah has appointed these several old white men, and one token nigga? Because these several old white men and one token nigga have told you so! They even print pictures of themselves so you and I know who they are!!! How kind of these several old white men and this one token nigga!! It sounds outragous, but guess what? They got our lives in a chokehold. I love the scene in the move Scarface, when Scarface shoots the corrupt cop. The cop holding his wound says, "you can't shoot a cop!" Scarface looks at him and says, "Whoever said you was one? So long Frank, have a good trip." Then he finishes him off. We've got the same corrupt cops in New York professing to be God's chosen spokesmen. The only question I have is whoever said they were?

• booby
    booby

Now back in the early 1900's witnesses all thought they were going to heaven so when they learnt that they weren't and only a chosen few were how did they then come to know if they as individuals were or weren't?

Not an easy answer here, but my understanding is that all felt that calling at first. Later on as many did not have that feeling or confidence what a relief and blessing when the new light (I think it may have been fluorescent) came along so that those who just didn't have that feeling could see a place for themselves in god's arrangement. Life on a paradise earth. As with most of the teachings and doctrines that Jehovah gave enlightenment on, he held out for many years. You know, waiting until their feeble little minds could cope with the things that were required to get them out of a jam. As their numbers grew after not going to heaven in ____ and after a number of schisms it became obvious that they would have to come up with some reason for the magic number of 144.000 losing plausibility. So guess what, Jehovah provided new light. From that time on it would only be replacements for anointed that fell short that would be part of that number. 'as a side note of course some doubt has now been ascribed to that year of 1935 being an actual cut of date for the gathering of those who make up that group'

When addressing this issue of "I have been told it is through God's holy spirit " there is indeed a conundrum that raises its ugly head. Why is this feeling that only they have any different from the countless born again Christians who insist they too have such feelings. Just recently I talked with a young mormon missionary who insists that after heartfelt prayer he felt a warm feeling in his chest that just proves to him that god is with him.

Yes, yes, I know. Satan is misleading all but them.

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

if they were annointed-they would quickly da themselves.

• Listener
    Listener

missyloveselders your comment is interesting and I love how you relate it to Elvis Presley, funny as many thought he was still alive years after he died.

Thanks Booby for your answer. I didn't know about 1935 (and 1931) so you set me off on a course to research. I've found a very long thread about it here

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/130668/6/Did-the-heavenly-calling-cease-in-1935-Not-anymore

I haven't got through it all yet but it certainly makes very interesting reading and it is addressing a lot of the questions I have.

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

Hi Listener,

The life of anointed is not an easy one, especially if they stay faithful. They are the prime target of Satan. He does everything possible to prevent them become worthy of the kingdom. Because when the full number is collected, it means troubles for him.

Romans 8:16 confirms the difficult and often painful life of the anointed: If, then, we are children, we are also heirs: heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ, provided we suffer together that we may also be glorified together.

I would shortly describe how the anointed know they have got anointed: They start to feel like they are anointed. Every time they encounter something about anointing or the kingdom of God, the spirit urges them think, this applies to me.

17 However, if some of the branches were broken off but you, although being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became a sharer of the olive’s root of fatness, 18 do not be exulting over the branches. If, though, you are exulting over them, it is not you that bear the root, but the root [bears] you. 19 You will say, then: “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 All right! For [their] lack of faith they were broken off, but you are standing by faith. Quit having lofty ideas, but be in fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22 See, therefore, God’s kindness and severity. Toward those who fell there is severity, but toward you there is God’s kindness, provided you remain in his kindness; otherwise, you also will be lopped off. 23 They also, if they do not remain in their lack of faith, will be grafted in; for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree that is wild by nature and were grafted contrary to nature into the garden olive tree, how much rather will these who are natural be grafted into their own olive tree!

Here the grafting in to the olive tree means becoming one of the anointed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit