Did You Aspire To Be An Elder Or Did You Want A Relative or Friend To Be One?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Being an elder was a goal that I had. When I finally was appointed an elder I thought that now I made my goal. But the fighting among the boe and the jockeying for position in the boe were sickening. Then a co was cleaning house in the circuit and he insisted that I be removed. It took 2 of his rotational visits to finally convince the boe that I needed to be removed. Now I do not have to support beliefs that I really did not believe. And now I do not have to bend over backwards to help publishers with their trivial problems.

• KW13
    KW13

I'd love to go back just to become an Elder to be honest.

• roguepixel
    roguepixel

Never wanted to be an Elder or a Miserable Serpent. I could see all the favouritism and nepotism and cheesy falseness of it all. They were oiling me up to be a MS, dumping loads of responsibilities on me that nobody else wanted to do... I think they're called 'privileges'. WatchTower reader, Book Room guy, coach captain etc. I really hated the way they all looked at you differently once you started doing stuff. I used to think 'I haven't changed, I'm still the same person you knew 5 years ago, so why the false flattery and invites to dinner all of a sudden?' I think once I became trusted by the elders, I started to become privy to a lot of the shenanigans that went on. By then I definitely would've turned down a promotion. I naturally turn away from flattery and attention, and all I could see at the end was the bullsheeet facade, the true face of the organization. I started to fade and just to make sure, I emigrated to another country.

I have noticed that some of my friends who were made into elders and MS's, have turned into jumped- up little napoleons with a very high opinion of themselves. The change is miraculous... previously likeable, humble and unassuming blokes turned into the biggest Twats imaginable. I just thank Jebus that I really dodged a bullet there...

• cantleave
    cantleave

My brother was appointed a good few years before, so I think it was expected I would be appointed.

I think a part of me wanted it deep down but I wasn't actively pursuing it. I was surprised when I was appointed although my friend was dropping huge hints just prior to the CO's visit.

I thought I would do good for the congregation. But ended up being a pain in the arse to the COBE and has little spineless lapdog (May he have a violent and painful death), since I hate nepotism and liars and they were expert practicers of tese black arts.

When I resigned the body was split, some really wanted me to stay others saw it as good riddance.

I had loads of congregation members calling me to say that they would miss me. Interestingly very recently had a family phone me for advice and I haven't attended a meeting for 6 months, they visited our house, just as I was leaving to pick our daughter up from a school play. I left nugget to talk to them, she did an excellent job of telling them not to take notice of the congregation of the society.

• minimus
    minimus

My family EXPECTED us to be "Servants" in the Congregation. Then when the elder arrangement came in, we were "groomed" to "be used" and we aspired to be Pioneers, MS's and Elders. We were not pushed into Bethel but we were expected to be useful to the Organization.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I served for 17 years; 11 of them as an elder.

I enjoy teaching.....and it showed. I was given all the big assignments, CA, Memorial, weddings, ....I even taught at the KM School for servants as a kid in his late 20's......

I miss teaching.... but I believe that is more of a personality 'thing'

Those that have served as elders have a VERY unique perspective on the religion. The hypocrisy (i.e. judicial meetings for drunks, when the majority of the elders are alcoholics)....the nepotism......and what really unnerved me for years: the gross lack of Bible knowledge or EVEN "organizational' knowledge among fellow elders that had people's LIVES in their hands. I came to realize I was one of the good, sincere ones......most were NOT.

I do not miss all the marriage mates who truly hate each other and refuse to have sex. I don't miss crying with a teenager when their heart is broken by a JC, I don't miss the Christianity ala Carte that JW's employee (we can DF for adultery, but not slander.....we can DF for smoking, while the elders wives drink themselves blind every weekend), I don't miss watching some CO misuse his power to affect other people's lives, then leave town.....

Those that have been elders and used extensively, have seen it all. It will destroy your own psyche.....and if you love your wife, it destroys her too.

There should be entire threads for the damage done to we morons that put our families and the women we love(d) through that insanity. And then you learn they could give a shite about you anyway......

Its really sick.....

• jam
    jam

It,s human nature to excel . Looking back in my life, in high school making the starting basketball team

wasn,t good enough I wanted to be the captain of the team. In the army I made sergent in less then A year

of course this was in viet Nam(rank came fast).And this was true in my occupation. So when I became A JW

at the age of 24 I became A elder at 29. The biggest mistake of My life. The family suffered, I was too young

and inexperience in life. I wanted to be A part of the in group. What A eye opener, if every JW could see what

take place behind close doors sit in on the elders meetings at the assemblies and Elder schools you would

be surprise. My first Elder meeting at the Circuit assembley, you learn real fast who the number one elder

in the Circuit and you do not want to cross him. What A joke. If I had remain just A publisher I would

probably be A JW today, or maybe not.

• Gayle
  • JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I aspired to be a MS. Achieved it. Thereafter, never aspired to be an elder.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

No, never. It looked like endless work.

3Mozzies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit