What if God's existence was PROVEN TO BE TRUE?

by nicolaou 100 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    What if God's existence was PROVEN TO BE TRUE?

I would need to know what my OPTIONS are. Is he concerned with me and my decisions? Is there a Reward/Punishment dynamic? Etc, etc.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    What if god's existence could be proven beyond any doubt? What if god were to actually show himself so that nobody could doubt his existence?
    [1] How would that change reality as we know it?

I don't see how it would change much of anything for me, personally. I already believe God exists.

[2] Would it create a society where we no longer have free choices?

No, I believe God gives us the freedom to choose. It is a gift.

[3] How about personal responsibility?

Being free to choose means being responsible for our own choices and accepting the consequences of those choices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxkfLe4G74

BTS

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

leavingwt you would be competing with thousands of millions of other people all asking questions.

We already know that God is slow to anger and slow to answer, so you could die of old age waiting for an answer.

Prayer and supplication are more likely to succeed.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

C'mon guys, if I seem to be talking out of my ass, use your search engines. This stuff about cosmic dust is not new research, it goes back to the 60's and Astronomer Sir Fred Hoyle...its just now starting to make sense...

It's wacky pseudo science with a sprinkling crazy, and glob of ignorance, a dash fanciful and just a light shake of fairy dust to top it off.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    There are major issues of planetary evolution that are being decided here every second of every day and we are all a part of it, contributing to the Akashic Record or Book of Life. The final destination is a return to Oneness with the Creator. Every one of us is an indispensable piece of God,

I like these thoughts particular thoughts, ProdigalSon.

As a Catholic, I believe it too:

The universe was created "in a state of journeying" (in statu viae) toward an ultimate perfection yet to be attained, to which God has destined it.

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c1p4.htm#V

I believe that the Universe is all in God. No, I don't mean pantheism, which means God and Creation are the same, but panentheism. There is a subtle distinction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism

Acts 17:28: For in him we live and move and have our being.'

Col 1:17: He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

I also suspect that we will find a great deal of life "out there."

BTS

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I would need to know what my OPTIONS are. Is he concerned with me and my decisions? Is there a Reward/Punishment dynamic? Etc, etc.

I agree leavingwt, I think most people would collectively poop their pants if the ~~ ALMIGHTY ~~ revealed himself in appropriately godlike fashion - that includes believers.

Would I, who have on this very board, referred to god as a genital obsessed, child abusing, warmonger have anything to fear if He did actually bother to show himself one day?

That sure would be a change of underwear day!

• xchange
    xchange

If god was proven to be true by sufficient extraordinary evidence and not based on my 'feelings' or 'knowing' and I was also very certain that I wasn't delusional or emotional at the time and that this proof wasn't delivered by any mediator (written or otherwise), I'd have to say "OK, now what?". But if this god turned out to be the god of the hebrews or muslims or christians, etc, I'd have to say "No thanks, I got enough halibut for now."

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Nic

After our discussion about certainty, is that what you mean by PROVEN? If so, please allow me to ask you, What if God's existence was "Proven" to be false?

What would it mean to society morally and ethically?

For example, here in America we believe (at least most of us do) that our "rights" are given to us by our Creator as opposed to given by the goverment. If the government can give us our rights, would it then feel free to take them away?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Well, I for one would have a lot of hard questions.

Like why did you create mankind just to allow people to suffer? I don't buy the JW argument that it was to prove satan wrong - it just doesn't work for me. What kind of God would allow the evil that has gone on in the world just to prove a point, that would be cruel. In my mind, centuries of suffering by mankind automatically precludes an all powerful, loving God.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Nic

How would that change reality as we know it?

My point in asking is, certainty on something like this (either way) would be a big change in the way most of us percieve reality, or "know" what we know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit