For Those Who Married "in the truth"

by Magwitch 25 Replies latest social relationships

• St George of England
    St George of England

Met my wife at a Circuit Assembly, engaged in six weeks and married in just 5 months. However we were not teenagers, both in our twenties.

While courting we never had a chaperone and even went off to a DC together for a week, although we had different accomodation. We have now been married 40 years and still get on very well. Never thought it was anyone's business what we did in private so never had any guilty feelings.

I think the only fly in the ointment has been these last two years when I have found the truth about the truth. My wife thinks I am very negative about the WTS and I have to be very careful what I say. I certainly haven't told her about this site yet! I am still a fairly active JW but if I could get through to her and leave as a couple I would do so, even at the risk of losing other family members, including 90 year old mother.

If I were a teenager however in 2010, I would walk regardless.

George

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

We met at a convention. We were engaged six months later and married eight months after that. Fortunately we had a lot more than the religion in common and we have been married for over 15 years.

• cantleave
    cantleave

We met at a sports centre. Our courtship was exemplary - didn't even kiss until engaged, chaperoned every inch of the way.

• letsslatejws
    letsslatejws

Besides us being in the same book group I didnt even notice my now husband because he was so quiet... It was only after a chance meeting where a group of us Teens all met up to go Ice-skating, that we first came into contact and I finally learnt his name. He had gone skating with another sister, with the purpose of being on another sort of date, but I didnt realise this. As my hubby was a terrible skater I helped him around the rink.... The sister he was there with was seething. I learnt this because all the other JW teens kept asking me did I like him? And why was I spending so much time teaching him to skate! I simply was doing what I thought others did & that was to help a fellow christian learn to skate ! I had absolutely no interest in him as his fashion sense was so VERY bad. (lol) He was very skinny and wore pale pink V neck jumpers that were fitted, drain pipe skinny trousers and the most god awful coat it was embarrassing....

Fast Forward he started to chat with me at the book group and I realised he had a good sense of humor, and we had a lot in common (other than religion). No looking back, our friendship/love blossomed (over 6 months) and we finally got to date the day I got baptised. 3 months after my baptism we were engaged. 1 year later we were married... During our courtship I was able to completely change his fashion sense and turn him into a fashionable dude. The other sister was absolutely livid. My hubbys mom got on her high horse when I cleared out his wardrobe of vile clothes, and she told me that I wasnt married to her son yet and that I was to put all the clothes back! (Stupid as he was NEVER going to wear them again on my shift !!!)

We had a chaperone for a while, but then our parents felt that we were mature enough to be left alone. Needless to say that was a big mistake & our celibacy didnt last :) 20 years later were still happily married & we now have 4 junior/teen children...

We were made for each other ......

• sabastious
    sabastious

My wife and I met at a convention and dated for two long years... we made it! Never had sex but did other things and had to go to the elders for it :(

Celebrating our 7th year aniversary this December! Had our first son last march and are both out of the org for good.

Life is good.

Now just gotta work on getting a good living going!

-Sab

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

My husband moved into my hall and was in the same bookstudy group. I didn't pay much attention to him because he was super shy and quiet. One of my friends dated him for awhile, and we hung out in a group quite often. Eventually they broke up, and my husband called me to ask if we could still be friends. I thought that was sweet because I really liked him by then and was sad my friend beat me to him. We started dating just before he moved.

We dated for less than a year long distance, and were engaged for 5 months. I was 19 when we married, and we're still together 8 years later.

My younger sister was our chaperone. The elders freaked out if you were seen in the car together without one. But we did have lots of alone time when we "played cards" at my house.

Once we fell asleep on my bed (at opposite ends for Pete's sake) and my Mom found us the next morning. We didn't do anything, but it was quite the scandal!!! Those were the days...

• zarco
    zarco

I dated my wife while she was in high school and I was just out. I had a Yamaha 650 Special and we would ride all around town. The elders said we had to have a chaperon, where in the heck could I put him/her? Still married, a few decades later.

zarco

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I met my ex on a JW dating website. He was dabbling in "apostasy" at the time, and I had my own doubts. We dated long distance, engaged after 3 weeks, married after 6 months. We never had a chaperone except when my parents were around when I would visit him, but I visted him alone for a week and we played "lemme just touch it..." lmao. Of course, he felt incredibly guilty about it, though I was completely fine. We were going to get married anyway, so what was the big deal?

Fast-forward 2 years after our marriage (in which we waited to have sex...until the day AFTER the wedding...his stupid idea of not wanting to make it seem like "that's why we got married, so we're gonna devote this night to Jehovah" *eye roll*...the only devotion to Jehovah I wanted that night was to be screaming "OH GOD!"). What a schmuck. Anyway, 2 years after, he had decided already to make a triumphant return to "the truth" and was more of a zealot about that than he had been about his "apostasy" (which is what he still calls that...his "Apostate Phase"). Up to this point, he wasn't really making any moves on me sexually...once every two weeks usually, and usually very mechanical "you get off, I get off, 20 minutes, we're done". No lovemaking...no tenderness...just "hurry up and finish, I'm bored" and constant watching of the clock (yes, literally). I had to beg him to have sex with me. BEG! Crying, pleading, feeling like shit about myself and him making me think I was abnormal because I wanted to actually be with him and make love *gasp!* EVERY OTHER DAY! After 2 years of this, he decided we needed to go to the elders and confess what we did before marriage because "obviously Jehovah isn't blessing our marriage because we sinned and fornicated ahead of time". After an uncomfortable meeting in which we were asked what we would counsel others to do in our situation, he thought things would magically be fixed. Yeah. Okay. I endured another 5 years of that ridiculousness he called "our intimate time" *puke*. There was nothing intimate about it. And any attempt made on my part to fix what was so obviously wrong was met with coldness, aloofness, and "you're too obsessed with sex". Sorry, I was a virgin when I got married...I expected SO MUCH MORE than this... I expected to be like rabbits in the first year... we were more like an old married couple straight out of the gate.

After all this, I finally started really researching what I "believed" and decided that it was no longer for me. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. He reported me to the elders (though I had NEVER done that to him when he was researching!) for that and a few other things. I was reproved (because I was oh so repentant) and although we decided to make it work, after that betrayal my heart was no longer in it. I tried going through the JW motions to no avail. We separated in 2009, with him weaseling me into signing over custody of our 3 kids (I really had no choice in the matter...long story). He then filed for divorced 5 months later, and was remarried 7 weeks after the divorce was final. Once he had a new "WONDERFUL" JW wife in the picture, he decided I was no longer fit to be my children's mother and filed a restraining order on trumped up charges. He lied. Theocratic warfare, ya know. So now I can't even speak to my children on the phone, let alone be near them and hold them. He says "Jehovah is protecting these kids...Jehovah is blocking you from them"...yes, because JEHOVAH signed the petition for a restraining order and JEHOVAH is the one who accused me of such heinous things right?

So yeah...it's safe to say that I hate this f*cking cult more than most do for the simple fact that it has robbed me of my kids, thus far. But I'll never stop fighting. And when I do go for custody, I'm using his beliefs against him. No blood? No extracurricular? No college? A book that tells people to lie under oath in order to get custody? My lawyer's gonna have a field day...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Just thinking about it makes me ill. Except for vacations and good times.

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

we met through friends at an incredibly fun party in an incredibly fun city when I was visiting another friend. We hit it off, and hung out the next day as she wasn't working.

the day after, I went home - she came with me to the airport - we stayed in contact and then 3 months later I moved down to said fun city. 6 months later we were engaged, 3 months after we were married. That was 18 months ago. Despite differences of opinions regarding JW's now (she was lovebombed to hell in our new hall) we are still very much in love.

Our hall was pretty liberal, no chaperones required and it was taken as a given that we hung out a lot alone - which we did . As for anything else, what goes on tour stays on tour :)

It was our biting sarcasm that attracted us to each other - plus she is smoking hot and as funny in english as she is in her other language.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit