crying at my grandma's house

by lil.lady.03 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Its really hard to discuss something like this with someone who doesn't have a clue what you're talking about.

Don't I know, baby, don't I know ...

Syl

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I'm glad you found this forum,

You'll find at least a dozen or more that can understand what your feeling...for some reason just talking about it really helps

• Ding
    Ding

Jesus said, "The truth will set you free." John 8:32

The WT "truth" enslaves.

It's an endless treadmill of trying to please Jehovah by works.

There's no benefit to arguing with grandma, but you might consider just showing her Romans 4, which stresses faith rather than works.

Someone succinctly point it this way: "The message of the cults is always, `Do more!' whereas the actual "good news" of Jesus is, `Done!'"

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Wow...lil lady. What a story... It really shows the damage that this organization does even on the dear older ones. They were run into the ground for so many years. And then while the WT says things like "Older ones cannot do as much anymore" they still make it sound like you must "work for your salvation." It's a sad sad thing.

There was a poster a couple days ago named Grandma Jones, I think... She is in her 60's or 70's and is now realizing how wrong the organization is. She only posted once and never came back. I hope she does.

Just imagine the relief and freedom your grandma would feel if she knew that it's only her personal relationship with Christ that even matters.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

lil,

I'm still refining this line for my own aging JW family members. I don't have everything with me right now for exact texts, but I'll post this under-construction. If you refer them to the example of Dorcas in Acts, there's something interesting for "meditation". Despite the fact that Stephen and James had already been killed for their preaching, who was seen fit to be resurrected? Neither of those important men "ministers". Not much of an indication that many tears were ever shed for them. However, when Dorcas died there was a great outpouring of grief. This "sister" who had no biblical note of ever "knocking on doors" or "commenting at meetings" was resurrected by popular demand of fellow Christians. Why? Because she "ministered" to the needs of others by fine works... real deeds of helping others in need. Elderly JWs (and any Christian) are most approved by God when they become their brother's keeper. Instead, of the preaching rat-race that converts nobody, grandma's time is better spent just showing love to her family and friends.

• KW13
    KW13

Your grandmother doesn't need telling at her age. Sounds quite mean to say, but let her carry on because after investing so much of herself into that organization, it'd break her heart to discover the truth about it and it would probably hurt just as much if she thought you'd left.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    I can't believe we're three generations deep of being deceived

Well at least it stops with you. I'm a 3rd generation JW too. With any luck I can get my nephew out so that there is not a 4th generation.

About grandma, it may not be the best thing to tell her the truth. Just try to enjoy the time you have left with her. Do fun things that have nothing to do with anything JW. Even if it's just you taking her out to dinner. Just enjoy being with her.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

This has made me so sad. Well done for caring so much about your grandma. Good advice here.

Loz x

• cantleave
    cantleave

I read that with a lump in my throat (big boys don't cry)!

I see so many people who were there for me when i was growing up, reaching very old age. They are still zealous and trying to achieve the impossible. These are honest hearted people misled by a lie. I too feel deeeply sad at unfufilled potential. But as has been said, it is what they chose. They are happy in their world of deception.

A dear brother who I really admired died last year at age 90 something. His son told me his last words to him and his son (the grand son) were "don't give up on Jehovah and I'll see you on the other side of his great day". I guess that means the legacy of working for a cult would would prevail through at least two more generations.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Comfort your grandma with what Jesus really emphasized. Didn't he say that he wanted mercy, not sacrafice? Find lots of scriptures like that to share with her. It will make her feel better, and if she ever learns that you don't go to the meetings anymore, at least she'll know you're reading the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit