Writer's Block

by compound complex 35 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Writer's block. Emerson, Alcott, Hawthorne.

old-manse.JPG

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Beks!

Seeing these homes puts me in a mood!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

seascape

Locked in body and spirit on the Isle of the Dead

• beksbks
    beksbks

Concord Mass. Right across the street from one another, and so many others not far off. It's quite an amazing place.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Beks!

CoCo

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have had some writer's block just out of the writer's gate. Luckily, my livelihood doesn't depend on writing.
    I did some research on Kurt Vonnegut as I deeply admire his "black comedy" style. I learned that he was depressed and suicidal, which kind of matched me at a point. But if I wanted to be as successful in writing as him, I hope I wouldn't have to stay in that depressed mood. I would rather enjoy the sunshine and the music of life with writer's block than churn out successful writing at the price of my peace of mind.

I doubt that's helpful, but it's my thoughts on the matter. Relax and enjoy the musings of other writers while waiting.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Much appreciated, OTWO.

You're absolutely correct. I had wrongly envisioned what a writer's life must be. Though many famous writers have endured unhappy lives, I have no intention of passing my remaining years chained to the keyboard nor to a life of depression and potential suicide (been there, done that).

Your sage advice came not a moment too soon!

Many, many thanks!

CoCo

• Quentin
    Quentin

CoCo...good to see you....

• compound complex
    compound complex

You, too, Quentin!

Thanks for the hello. Hoping you and Kathy are well.

CoCo

• tec
    tec

CoCo, I understand! But your writing is beautiful, and you've certainly been turning out some compelling pieces around here these past few months. You've been inspiring me, certainly.

And OTWO, this :

I would rather enjoy the sunshine and the music of life with writer's block than churn out successful writing at the price of my peace of mind

- has been my sentiment for the last year of writer's block. To be honest, even before, I think... I was tired of always living in my head, and not in the world with my kids. I think I needed a break. Then I tried to force the writing for so long, I missed an entire summer with my family, my kids - just spent all day writing what I would throw out at the end of that day. That's when I kind of hung up my pen so to speak.

(I started writing again last night, btw. Now I'll have two projects going on because I also signed up for Nanowrimo. Doing my white whale in that (the sequel to the book I have published, because its just hanging over my head. But I'm also doing another on the side. I'm crazy)

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit