Friends....

by letsslatejws 10 Replies latest jw friends

• letsslatejws
    letsslatejws

I have 2 worldly friends and 1 faded JW.. Loads of aquaintences but that is my lot. This makes me feel bitter (because Ive led a sheltered life!) ...

How have the rest of you faired?

Me & my hubby have an invite to a party at a random persons house we barely know, as much as I'd like to go, it scares the crap out of me? Would you go ?

We feel like 2 fish out of water !

• Ding
    Ding

You said you'd like to go, so go.

Most likely you'll have a great time.

If something happens that really bothers you, say goodby and leave.

• Scully
    Scully

You and your husband should decide, in advance, on a "safe word" that means "let's get the hell out of here" and use it if either of you get uncomfortable or bored.

Went to a wedding a couple of years back with a group of girls I work with, and when one of the bride's friends started hitting on one of the girls, she used our "safe word" to get us to scurry her away to the ladies room and plan our escape!

"Do they serve pineappledaquiris here?"

• Quandry
    Quandry

Yes, go. Even if you don't stay long. You will never know unless you accept the invitation. You might be pleasantly surprised. Try not to go with preconceived expectations.

• bigmac
    bigmac

having met you both i'm sure your hosts will find you to be very charming, interesting people, so go on enjoy yourselves, make new friends & tell us how you get on.

BM

• cantleave
    cantleave

We've met up with a few people from ex-jw boards and had some over for a meal. After exiting you need to start somewhere, and only ex-jw's really understand what you are going through. So as we often told by the org - "widen Out" and enjoy.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I think it's normal to have only a couple of close friends while having a ton of acquaintances.

Right now, Egg and I are each other's best friend. We have a few acquaintances but haven't made true friends, yet.

We are working on it, though. It can take a couple of years for a strong friendship to develop, the kind where there is trust built.

Takes time.

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

It might be a bit scary, but it could also be lots of fun! Why not give it a try?

I have one faded JW friend, and my sister. Pretty sad at the moment, but I'm newly "out" of the org.

• Ding
    Ding

Isn't it sad how the WTS poisons JWs against anyone outside the organization?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Establish a safe word, buy a small hostess gift like candles, flowers, wine, sweets, etc., and go have fun. If the people aren't your cup of tea, thank them profusely for their company and politely take your leave. You won't know if you like them if you refuse their invitation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit