Why do JW's downplay older WT articles?

by mamalove 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Watchtower - The religion with a shelf life!

Anyone who dismisses the older publications can be made to confront this:

*** w57 5/15 p. 313 Appreciating Basic Christian Publications ***

Their zeal for knowledge may even prompt them to dig back into things that were published long before they came into the truth, expanding and deepening their understanding, and ever growing in Christian maturity. Do you dig into our older publications to expand and deepen your knowledge on subjects about which questions arise? Have you really studied these earlier publications? How is your background of knowledge? Never think: "Oh, I know most of that." For you will find, indeed, that you do not and that you will be strengthened by your additional study...once you have completed your study of them you can then look to even older publications. Only by studying earlier publications and digging back through previous issues of The Watchtower kept in the library at your local Kingdom Hall. There is much in the way of spiritual riches and aid toward mature knowledge in these earlier publications, and their study is most certainly worth your time."

• Wrong Way
    Wrong Way

Very good, Kurt! Very good!

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

^^^^

Perfect! Thanks kurtbethel...

• blondie
    blondie

While some older quotes are very good; I always try to find the most recent quote I can. But realize this that:

1) Even if it is in the most recent book or WT...many jws will just suffer cognitive dissonance or

2) Accuse you of having alterned the publication, even if you just took it off the shelf at the own KH library.

• wobble
    wobble

I agree dear Blondie, it is quite amazing the strength of their desire to remain fooled, for if they wake up to the reality, as one elderly bro. said to me "What is left for the likes of us, if it is not true ?"

Thanks Kurt for the quote, i wonder if the writer really knew that to do as he said and read the old, totally mad, publications, would mean people would wake up to the reality that they were in a weird cult ?

It was reading such stuff, and seeing how much was wacky and rejected soon after publication that made me question the Holy Spirit's role in WT theology.

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

I've seen stuff written within the year that they disavow and treat as though Satan himself penned it and snuck it in their beloved literature. Don't believe me? Ask a JW about the '99 article that "changed" their position on voting. Or about the article this year that stated something like, "You shouldn't have to choose between your family and your religion. Families should allow their members to freely choose a religious path that suits them."

They'll look at you like this:

Then you can:

• Mary
    Mary
    Why do JW's downplay older WT articles?

For the same reason they tried covering up their pedophile problem: It's highly embarassing to them, casts doubt on their claims to being the only ones guided by Jehovah, and because the Governing Body members are a bunch of incompetent assholes who are far more concerned about keeping their power than what they do about 'truth'.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

mamalove,

Show your mom and sister this article.

Compare the newest baptismal vows to what they said in this Watchtower Magazine:

w55 7/1 p. 411 Christian Baptism for the New World Society

15 A Christian, therefore, cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organization, but in the name of the Father, the Son and the holy spirit.

In Christ

abe

• Roddy
    Roddy

1. The light gets brighter and brighter.

2. If an older Watchtower contradicts a newer Watchtower, the newer Watchtower is brighter.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

My buddy, Keith Walker of evidenceministries.org, gives an experience of the elder that gave him the WT library to use for research. The elder was sitting down and showed him how the search feature works. Then he said, "Make sure that you always click the top result, because that is the most recent article. If you click on the ones below, they might not be true anymore."

I don't know how the elder could say this without stopping and thinking about what he was actually saying...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit