Why do JW's downplay older WT articles?

by mamalove 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mamalove
    mamalove

I was looking at Brotherdan's thread about the two articles that really point out in the WTBS's own words that we must follow this organization, blah blah, and they are indeed a cult from reading those articles. It made me think that I would love to show my mom and sister that, but I KNOW the response would be "So what, that is a 40 year old magazine," it was dated 1969, and 1983 was the other article I believe.

Are the JW's I know the only ones who poo poo older articles and say that thinking isn't up to date anymore, that new thinking has superceded those new articles? Even though we know that the overall thinking is the same. You must believe this is the spirit directed organization of God, or you are an apostate according to them. We have many examples of people DF'd for not agreeing with that....

• Ding
    Ding

Excellent point!

I really don't know the answer.

One time I showed an elder old Watchtower articles that flatly contradicted the Society's current teaching.

He yelled, "That stuff is apostate literature!"

I said, "Whoa, brother. This is the Watchtower! When does an issue of the Watchtower stop being the truth and turn into apostate literature??"

I never found out.

He stalked out my door and never came back.

• sherah
    sherah

The downplay older articles because they buy into the WT belief of progressive light. But most dubs who don't accept older articles are usually stalling to get out of answering an uncomfortable question.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Good point. Although if you ask them if they let their thinking be guided by the organization, they have to say yes. I didn't look for more recent articles. I'll bet they've said some of the same stuff recently. I mean, seriously in the 9/15 WT they say that when you listen to what the GB tells you, you are actually listening to Jesus himself since he guides them...

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

It's back to the "light getting brighter" thought. Any JW will refute an older article if the newer contains updated info. Doesn't matter how old or recent it is.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

When JW Cattle are tossed "New Light" ..

Thats all they see..

Moo!..

giantobjects10.jpg picture by GeneralWaco.............................. ...OUTLAW

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Catholic Inquisition = proof that it's a false religion

Failed JW predictions = proof that the light gets brighter

Are the JW's I know the only ones who poo poo older articles and say that thinking isn't up to date anymore, that new thinking has superceded those new articles?

It's called cognitive dissonance. From a psychological viewpoint, we must align our thoughts with our actions. Therefore, we either change our ways when we realize our thoughts are not in harmony with our actions or we explain them away or, in extreme cases, outright deny that the conflict exists.

For instance, let's say I'm a wealthy warehouse owner and I get an offer to purchase my plant. I know that if I sell, I could make a nice sum of money, but the new owner intends to shut the plant down and lay off all the workers. At the same time, I consider myself to be a good-hearted righteous Christian. So there are basically two routes I could take: (1) I refuse to sell the plant and save my employee's jobs or (2) sell the plant and justify my behavior, perhaps by saying that I have to act in the best interests of the business or something along those lines. The conflict between my own perception of myself and my actions that are out of harmony with that perception need to be remedied somehow.

That's what happens with Witnesses. Upon presenting evidence that their thoughts about themselves with respect to being followers of the one, true religions are incorrect, they will try to explain away the evidence so that they can hold on to their views. The mind wants to harmonize beliefs and the evidence you're presented with. So JWs will often minimize the importance of some piece of evidence that demonstrates that the Watchtower does not teach the truth, or in some cases, they will outright lie and say dismiss the evidence as being fabricated (evil apostates!).

It's just how the mind works. It's like the guy who always wanted a stable family life, but deep down knows his wife is cheating on him, yet refuses to believe it. When his best friend confronts him with hard evidence of this, the guy punches his buddy in his face instead of accepting the truth of the matter. Eventually, he will either have to change his thoughts (accept that he's married a two-timer) or continue to dismiss all evidence that points to this conclusion.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Surely if what they write is not from men but from God, it should be as relevent today as it was when they wrote it.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I think these YouTube videos are pertinent to this discussion, especially the one,"Oh, It's Intentional, All Right..."

Zid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tk0hjxP-0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OqAX37BSiA

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They want to weazel their way out of the embarrassment caused by their own older literature by saying they have more knowledge/light now, then, when arguing the immortal soul, they want to ignor the NT and rush you off to Ezekiel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit