Who Is This Person?

by snowbird 51 Replies latest social entertainment

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I used to watch this as a little girl with my grandmother.

I liked his cute son on the series. Who was he?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

A great hero for a growing boy...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Johnny Crawford.

Wasn't he cute, though?

And upright. And obedient. And gutsy.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird
    A great hero for a growing boy...

... and for coming-of-age girls.

He always got the bad guys, and was apparently colorblind.

My sisters and I were filled with wonder when Sammy Davis, Jr. would appear on the show!

Syl

• Quentin
    Quentin

Ah, childhood TV. Lets see, shows I watched.....Make Room For Daddy, then it became the Danny Thomas Show...Rifleman, of course...The Rebel...Maverick...77 Sunset Strip...Ann Southern Show...Dobie Gillis...Our Mrs. Brooks...I Married Joan...Combat...endless list, needless to say I was a TV junkie....

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    LOL @ Burn.

My father's family had the one of the first TV sets in neighborhood. He says all the kids would come over.

Different times.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    My sisters and I were filled with wonder when Sammy Davis, Jr. would appear on the show!

The various episodes of The Rifleman promote fair play, neighborliness, equal rights, and the need to use violence in a highly controlled manner ("A man doesn't run from a fight, Mark," McCain tells his son, "But that doesn't mean you go looking to run TO one!"). Thus the program's villains tend to cheat, to refuse help to those down on their luck, to be bigots, and to see violence as a first resort rather than the last option. Indeed, when the people of North Fork meet Blacks, they are truly color-blind. In "The Most Amazing Man", a Black man (played by Sammy Davis, Jr.) checks into the only hotel in town; for the entire show, no one notices his race.

Not only is this noteworthy for the 1880s setting, it was radical for Hollywood of the early 1960s. While the message was clear, it was neither heavy-handed nor universal. Yet a certain amount of xenophobia drifts around North Fork, once forcing McCain to defend the right of a Chinese immigrant to open a laundry ("The Queue") and later, the right of an Argentinefamily to buy a ranch ("The Gaucho"). This racial liberalism does not extend to villains, however. The Mexicans in "The Vaqueros" are indolent and dangerous, and speak in the caricatured way of most Mexican outlaws in Westerns of the time.

Another fundamental of the series is that people deserve a second chance. Marshal Micah Torrance is a recovering alcoholic. Similarly, McCain gives an ex-con a job on his ranch ("The Marshal"). Royal Danoappeared five times, once as a former Confederate States of America soldier in ("The Sheridan Story"), given a job on the McCain ranch, who encounters General Phil Sheridan, the man who had cost him his arm in battle. Learning why the man wants him dead, Sheridan arranges for medical care for the wounded former foe, quoting Abraham Lincoln's last orders to "...Bind up the nation's wounds." (Dano also appeared as a man who thought he was Abraham Lincoln, as a rainmaker, as a wealthy tanner who mistakenly believes Mark is his lost son and again as a preacher with a haunting gunfighter past in an episode where Warren Oates and L. Q. Jones, as unsavory brothers, try to goad him into a gunfight and attempt to bushwhack him.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rifleman

Different times.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

We didn't get electric power until 1971, so kind neighbors would make room for us.

Then, we could get only one network - NBC - so we missed out on what ABC and CBS had to offer.

My estranged husband says that when he was in Jamaica, his family was the first to get a TV.

Syl

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    We didn't get electric power until 1971, so kind neighbors would make room for us.

Wow. Around here where I live, I hear that was the case in some areas also that are now "in town." Some of them even still had outhouses. I mean, I have family members (including my wife for a time) that grew up without these things. But in the US in the 1970s? Mind boggling for a city boy (like yours truly).

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    My estranged husband says that when he was in Jamaica, his family was the first to get a TV.

My father's family had a TV before most Americans did. Habana got the best of everything the US had, back then.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit