Have your prayers EVER been answered?

by nicolaou 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover
    On a dark night, robbed and dragged out of the car to be shot. I felt it was all over but prayed that God save my life. The gang leader was bent on getting rid of me. His peers talked him out of it. I had already been asked to lie face down.
    I have never doubted that my silent prayer was answered.

Not to make light of a horrible situation that you faced, but why would God save you in this particular instance but not save someone else in a similar situation that believed in him and prayed every bit as hard as you?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    On a dark night, robbed and dragged out of the car to be shot. I felt it was all over but prayed that God save my life. The gang leader was bent on getting rid of me. His peers talked him out of it. I had already been asked to lie face down.

In agreement to what Undercover stated: Why did he seek to 'save' you, while he refuses to 'save' a million starving children everyday? Or the guy across town who prayed at the same time as you, but was rewarded with a bullet to his cerebellum?

I am glad you were not killed. But why would God save you while he let the other million people a day who cry out just die? Either God is a miserable bastard, who routinely picks and chooses based on the 'daily choice of criteria', or your 'killer wannabe' just decided he did not want the chair over your death. Or, a million other reasons that it didn't happen.

Jeff

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I have wished for things and they become mine.

I have desired and had my desires satisfied.

I have striven to achieve and reached my goals.

I have loved and been loved in return.

I have won and I have lost and played the game of life.

Have my prayers ever been answered? That would be telling!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

God does indeed answer prayer.

At the beginning of one summer, I sat in my tan Toyota van in front of my house and told my heavenly Father in private that I needed $2000 to get through the summer. I calculated that I would need that amout to pay the mortgage (long since paid off) and asked that He would have someone send us a check for exactly that. I knew it was coming. Within 2 weeks, out of the blue, I received a check from a deaf Aunt in Ottawa. Yes, it was for exactly $2000.

A year later, my Toyota van (272 K ) began giving me serious problems. I spent $1500 in the summer trying to get to the bottom of them. No luck. As I was driving and conking out on the way to work in September I saw a beautiful gray van passing me by. I pointed to it and asked the Father for one just like that one. Since I did not have a cent left in the bank I told God that He knew I used my vehicles for His glory and asked Him supply me the van without depleting my bank account 1 cent. I had faithfully and regularly given to the poor and now I was poor and needing help. So I knew God would not deny my request.It's called, back-to-the-wall faith.

The next day as I drove my son to college I told him what I had asked God for and how much it was going to cost me (i.e. nothing). After he snickered a little I told him that God didn't have a choice in the matter. Call it presumption if you will; but I knew in my spirit what moves the hand of God. That was Wednesday. On Saturday morning my wife said to me, "Vander, you need a reliable car to get to work; what are we going to do?" . Watch God's timing here. As the words, "I don't know" crossed my lips the phone rang. It was a fellow teacher of the disabled from another school though; an agnostic. "Vander", she said, "I hear you need a new car". Yes, I replied, not knowing how she knew. "Well", she said, "I have $10,000 for you and it is not a loan." She gave me a check for that amount. Coincidentally, another lady at work did not like her (gray) Toyota van that looked like it just got off the showroom floor and sold it to me for under $10,000 even after taxes insurance and registration.

By the way; God repays those who bless His children; at my insistence, this agnostic lady (Eleanor) applied for and received $25,000 severance instead of another teacher who was also applying for this same severance package. Years later I received a phone call from the Royal Victoria hospital telling me Eleanor was failing. As I drove to the hospital...in the van she had in effect purchased for me, I prayed, "Father, I have tried to talk to Eleanor about Jesus, but she has never been receptive. She has been a blessing to me and to our family, taking our home-schooled children on fieldtrips, inviting the deaf and blind to her home....so what can I say to her on her deathbed?" God spoke clearly to my spirit, "Tell her exactly what you just told me" When I arrived, Eleanor's face lit up. I told her how she had blessed others and that now God wanted to bless her back and make her a part of His family. I asked her if she wanted to pray with me...and for the first time, she agreed and we prayed together.

She passed away within 48 hours.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

People of thousands of different religions have their prayers answered every day. The theology of these various faiths are often mutually exclusive. Further, their God(s) have different names.

This raises serious questions, for the outside observer.

• dm6
    dm6

leaving watchtower WOW! nice post. I was going to mention that the other day. If god performs miracles and answers peoples prayers, then how about healing an amputee? i never see that happen.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

yes the Lord hears and answers prayers for me all the time, in fact if it wasn't for God I would be like so many other people who lack faith. I am not mocking anyone who doesn't believe the way I do, but for myself I have been blessed so many times through prayers. When I was struck by a truck while on my way to the drug store(i was on my electric medical scooter) I was badly injured and laying on the road and my body was in shock at least a dozen people came to my aid instantly out of no where. Anyway after recuperating I had no scooter, as it was dead. So I was going in to church one Sunday morning and a couple behind me said, Terry where is your scooter, and how come you look so ill and I explained what happened and they said to me they had a fifteen thousand dollar wheelchair that was their nephews and he had passed away and they didn't know what to do with it and would I like it and of course it was an answer to a prayer and I said oh yes and thank you so much and then the husband said would you like the van that goes with it and I said pardon me and he said well we have the van to and we will just give it to you also and I was shocked couldn't believe my ears and all it cost me was 1 dollar to transfer into my name it passed the emissions and certification also. I am still so over whelmed by their generosity and love it baffles my imagination. The other day I need some food and didn't have a dime and said Lord I don't know how will I make it to the end of the month and then right in front of my eyes was a twenty dollar bill. That got me a few items but still I needed more and a neigbhour gave me 10.00$ and some soup and tuna, a friend took me out to lunch on Friday and on Sunday I went to the bank to see if I had enough money to buy a bottle of water and imagine my shock when I discovered there was 75 dollars in my account it was money paid in advance of my pension and for what reason I have no idea so I was able to go shopping yesterday after church to get some food. Now nothing on this earth can prove to me any differently that these were indeed answers to God. Because they were, each day I had enough to get by. God didn't promise riches he promised to get us through each day and i know that this is what has happened to me in my life and it has been like this for most of my life. God has always provided for me just at the right time. When I think I can't make it he has provided. Like I said it isn't wealth but it is enough. PRAYER is a powerful when we ask in faith and sometimes when we are frustrated and we just say why God can't you help me in my dispair he is there and sometimes he is not but we have to at times expect the good and other times the answers are no, we may not always understand that but perhaps the Lord is refining us in someway. I am not dead, I have a roof over my head food in my tummy and surviving. Maybe someday I will have a little more who knows but for now it is suffice to say that the good Lord hears and helps me in answering my prayers.

orangefatcat

• startingover
    startingover

How nice it must be to pray and have it answered, even in exact dollar amounts...imagine that!! Seems to me the prayers said here were for the benefit of the person doing the praying. How about using some of that special talent you have on a larger scale that benefits many others? You obviously have something going on so why not use it to make a real difference in the world?

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

As the elders in my JC were deliberating on my fate, I prayed earnestly & sincerely to Joe Hoover to guide the elders to make the best decision regarding my future. I was disfellowshipped. That was the best thing that ever could have happened to me, so, I guess you say that ONE prayer was answered, however, I firmly believe that it was just a coincidence. Even when I was a Witless, on the rare times I prayed, (it felt strange, even then) nothing ever came from any of them.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Have your prayers EVER been answered?

I prayed like no one's business for Mrs Punk and Daughter Punk to have their minds freed from JW cult mind control. This I felt was in line with God's will, that they should be free to find a path. Nada. Nix. Not a thing.

Other Christians have prayed for them too. Once agin I'm beginning to lose faith. Atheism is suddenly appealing!

I'm beginning to think God is just my imaginary friend.

I think I'm on God's nuicance call list and my number's barred!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit