Secret military tribunals and historical precedent

by Seeker 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Lionel: I think you might be making this out to be more than it is ... at least for what I was intending in the core of the discussion.

First, you are 'technically' correct ... they are detainees and not POWs. ... but, beyond that I think the distinction get murky. They were captured in a war ... defined by two opposing armies shooting at one another ... and they are prisoners ... hence POWs. I only meant this in a loose sense.

The Taliban Military are not run like other modern conventional armies ... and so they may not have the same level of ranks, and may have no use for serial numbers ... these are a bunch of dessert rats with towels on their heads thinking that Allah is with them. They are being Detained until the USA can figure just how to deal with them.

The Al Quaeda is not a military ... but they shoot guns like a military ... still, they are indicted as criminals. They are not normal soldiers who live by Geneva Convention rules ... and they are not a recognized entity as a government would be. For that matter, the Taliban was not recognized except by Pakistan and Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

So, are these soldiers doing their duty for their country, following rules of engagement, blah, blah, blah? No. They are in an undetermined status.

As far as civil rights organizations go, many of them bitch about the least little thing. These Detainees are at Camp X-ray located in Cuba. Some of them are still being held in Afghanistan by either the US military or by the new Afghan Administration.

The media so far, says they are being treated well. And in time their 'official' status will be determined. But, in a practical sense, baring the issues of semantics, they are POWs.

But, if winning something here is important, then fine, say that I was more than 'technically incorrect.' None of this is really germane to my main points.

• Seeker
    Seeker
    These are a bunch of dessert rats with towels on their heads thinking that Allah is with them.

I don't normally pick on typos, but this one made me laugh with the wonderful mind picture of a bunch of rodents rolling around some pies and cakes while having religious thoughts...

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

Amazing,

It's hardly about winning something. You stated:

Technically, you are correct, they are officially Detainees. I used the term POW, because these people are still being treated in the same fashion as POWs under the Geneva Convention. they have not been tortured, and are being afforded good and humane treatment.
    The whole point of the discussion is whether the trial procedures recommended by Bush and being considered are fair or not. Seeker's point was to point out that the precedents cited by the Bush administration are shaky. You stated, in an attempt to mollify the implications of Seeker's points, that the prisoners (for they are that) - who you called POWs - would be treated according to the Geneva Convention, when in fact they are not being accorded those rights. That is exactly why the US won't call them POWs because it doesn't want to accept the requirements of that convention. How can this not be germane to the argument - or your core points - is beyond me since that was one of your core points.

These individuals - rightly or wrongly - are detainees precisely because the US does not want to label them POWs under the Geneva Convention. Sure, people may want to put a spin on it by saying "they are being treated according to the GC" but the fact is that they aren't and it is not a technicality. Under the GC they need not answer questions beyond name, rank and serial number, for example. Also, there exists argument as to how well they are being treated - at least outside the US press.

Now it's a separate argument as to whether them being detainees is right or wrong, practical or impractical, etc - but to blur the issue by making statements that are untrue and misleading - and which also are biased against Seeker's points - is a little less then satisfactory.

LPH

• ISP
    ISP

Hey guys...whatever you think of secret tribunals...who would look forward to prosecuting these guys? What happens if you were a witness? Judge? Do you think Al Quaeda would pass up the opportunity to get even with you or your family? Thats the likelihood if its a public matter.

ISP

• Seeker
    Seeker

ISP,

The beauty of the concept of innoncent until proven guilty is just that -- I have no idea how I would judge these individuals because I haven't yet heard the evidence (and in a secret trial, I never would hear the evidence).

Obviously, the people responsible for the terrorist attacks are guilty and should be treated as such. Whether these particular prisoners are among those guilty, or whether they are just people the U.S. government decided to get even with for some other reason and chose this excuse to cover it up, I have no idea. SInce countries around the world are using the 'war on terrorism' as an excuse to do what they want against their enemies, terrorists or not, I'm naturally suspicious that something shady might be going on. The U.S. government has lied to us so many times in the past, it is entirely possible that they are doing so again, though I have no evidence to suggest this. That's the beauty of a public trial -- we get to judge for ourselves. In a secret trial, as I said, we are reduced to trusting the government.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi LPH:

"Amazing, It's hardly about winning something."
    I did not want to get into a debate about this aspect of a technicality, because that is all I see right now. It seems like a lot of fuss is being made over something that is not at this time harming the Detainees.

"The whole point of the discussion is whether the trial procedures recommended by Bush and being considered are fair or not. Seeker's point was to point out that the precedents cited by the Bush administration are shaky."
    I am aware of Seeker's point. If we are concerned over fairness, the Bush Admin decision to try John Walker in US Civilian courts is at least suggestive that they are seeking fairness. Technically, when US Citizens travel abroad, they are barred from joining foreign armies and other acts deemed treasonous ... and if they do, they automatically forfiet their US Citizenship. Therefore, John Walker is no longer a US Citizen and could be tried tried as a Taliban or Al Quaeda. But, by allowing him to face a US civilian court, he is being treated very fairly ... and so, I tend to think that the Bush Admin will try to be fair to others.

"You stated, in an attempt to mollify the implications of Seeker's points, that the prisoners (for they are that) - who you called POWs - would be treated according to the Geneva Convention, when in fact they are not being accorded those rights. That is exactly why the US won't call them POWs because it doesn't want to accept the requirements of that convention."
    What rights under the GC are being denied to the Detainees? The USMCJ is used for our own soldiers ... and is a fair system ... so how does this deny some rights under the GC? How are the Detainees being harmed?

"How can this not be germane to the argument - or your core points - is beyond me since that was one of your core points.
    My core point is:
    1. US Military Code of Justice (USMCJ) standards are very fair, and has a long standing tradition in the trial of US military personnel. The tribunals that Bush wants set up would be run along the lines of the USMCJ. ... 5. The Taliban and Al Quaeda people are not US Citizens and have no rights under US Civilian laws. They are prisoners of war [edit: Detainees], and there is plenty of case law on how war criminals are treated. At best, any USA trial must meet any provisions of the Geneva Convention that may apply. By using Military Tribunal the Taliban and Al Quaeda defendants are afforded fairness, certainly much better than they afforded to the women they shot in the back of the head for wearing cosmetics.
    "These individuals - rightly or wrongly - are detainees precisely because the US does not want to label them POWs under the Geneva Convention. Sure, people may want to put a spin on it by saying "they are being treated according to the GC" but the fact is that they aren't and it is not a technicality."
    What specific rights are being denied them? How are they being treated in a way that violates the geneva Convention?

"Under the GC they need not answer questions beyond name, rank and serial number, for example. Also, there exists argument as to how well they are being treated - at least outside the US press.
    Yes, I understand that the GC calls for name, rank, and serial number. Again, how are these "Detainees" not being treated fairly? Again, what specifically has been done to them that violates the GC? We just don't know. And as far as the Bush Admin goes, we don't know exactly why they have not been classified technically as POWs. The Bush Admin would be foolhardy to engage in unfairness, torture, or other things prohibited by the GC ... even though they are not called POWs. We will just have to wait and see ... but with the whole world watching ... it would be tough for the Pres. to do something unfair or harmful to the Detainees.

"Now it's a separate argument as to whether them being detainees is right or wrong, practical or impractical, etc - but to blur the issue by making statements that are untrue and misleading - and which also are biased against Seeker's points - is a little less then satisfactory."
    What did I say that was untrue or biased? I made a technical error in loosely calling them POWs. I still stated in item 5 that whatever we call these Detainees, we would have to act accoridng to the provisions of the GC. No intent was expressed or implied to mislead ... and I accepted your correction, and conceded the point that they should be technically called Detainees.

What I meant by Germane to the point, is that I don't want to debate whether they are called POWs or Detainees. Such titles are an exercise in semantics.

Call them what you like, as long as they are being treated fairly, not being tortured, and they receive humane treatment such as regular and good meals, necessary medical care, adequate sleep, and access to any services required of the GC, then what difference does it make that they are Detainees or POWs until the US Admin figures out what to do?

Now, if the Bush Admin comes out with some legal manuvering, so they can deny basic human rights ... and enages in torture ... etc ... then we have far more serious problems than debating Military or Civilian trial ... we have cause for removing Bush and/or other bad guys from office.

This all seems odd that we are wrangling over such things as a title ... when we don't have facts as to what specific GC rights are being violated, if any. The germane issue to me, is whether they get a fair trial. And to presume that as Detainees means that they will not get such a fair trial is unfair to our Administration. It all seems like a lot of hand-waving at this point in time.

And, what is even more to my point is that I am still undecided on a lot of this. Being undecided and looking to form an opinion, means to me that I want some solid facts that one method or another will mean more or less fairness. So, can you give me solid facts that support the contention that these Detainees are being denied some rights ... or that any such denial is going to be harmful during this Interim process?

You cite the right to give just name, rank, and serial number. What will this mean if the US military juyst simply does not ask these question? What if right now they don't need to know or want to know? So what. These will be asked in time once the Admin decides wht to do by way of trail. Aside from thios right to give ones name, rank, and serial number, what other rights are factually being denied, and if so, what harm does it cause? I am open to facts, and if these peopole are being harmed in someway ... then by all means, lets get together and cry foul!

• ISP
    ISP

So Seeker are you going to be on the jury, prosecutor etc? Your days would be numbered, I feel.

I would like to see a public trial in the sense I would like to see the evidence but I am not happy with the mechanism of justice in this situation. I would not ask someone to do something I would not do. And you?

Best.

ISP

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

Amazing,

What I meant by Germane to the point, is that I don't want to debate whether they are called POWs or Detainees. Such titles are an exercise in semantics.
    If you say so. http://www.itv.com/news/World15193984.html

A team of British officials, who spent the weekend inspecting Camp X-ray, has passed a report to the Foreign Office and to Number 10 - but it will not be made public.

The dispute over conditions at Camp X-Ray hinges around the fact that US refuses to recognise the detainees as prisoners of war, referring to them instead as illegal combatants.

Under the Geneva Convention, prisoners of war must be tried by the same courts and under the same procedures as US soldiers.

Under that status, prisoners would be tried for war crimes through courts-martial or civilian courts, not by secretive military tribunals that could impose the death penalty.

LPH
  • David Gladden
    David Gladden

My Opinion:

*ALL* trials should be public.

Should there be evidence that would jeopardize national security or the privacy and dignity of a victim (sex crimes, etc.), the *JUDGE* may have the evidence suppressed for a reasonable period of time not exceeding 100 years.

• Seeker
    Seeker

ISP,

I don't understand what you are asking me. Can you clarify, please?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit