BIG talk with teenage son today

by Aussie Oz 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It's a very frustrating process and you can never tell how much effect you have.

I try to say stuff that I know they know already but prefer not to think about. It's hard to win a fight by punching in a different place every time.

I try to find different ways of hitting the same soft spot. Like boxers, they try not to show when it hurts.

If you want some outright blackmail.....

..... Once he's dunked, the Elders will take a dim view of him paddock bashing in your paddock. Just happen to find something suitable on eBay.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

HAHA!

i can almost guarentee he'll find an old car inside a month!

sofly softly with the blows...

oz

• sweet
    sweet

make sure when you show him the "history" and the wt quotes you show him the whole article because the wt quotes may be taken out of context and explain to him that some of what jw taught "back in the days" may not be valid...because of what jws taught back in the days may not be valid anymore...

i'm praying your son makes his own decision and whatever path he takes leads him eventually to the right one...

i did my own research on outside sites and came to my own conclusion as well....

wikipedia....ANYONE can make up stuff....even anyone on the internet as well....just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true...anyone has a creative mind

• snowbird
    snowbird

Syl

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

i agree about wiki...

i only want to steer him to stuff that can be substanciated, facts of history etc

rather than here-say and stories

oz

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

My son is only 5. But I hope that my eventual talk with him (when he is old enough) will be like yours. What a good dad...I think you handled everything perfectly. You son knowing that you have his back whether he agrees or disagrees with you is so awesome!

I think "captive of a concept" would be perfect for him. It's easy to read and simple in it's arguments. Good job Aussie Oz!!!

• Alan_56
    Alan_56

Wow! I wish I had a parent that would hold out a safety net for me like that! I am so afraid of turing 18 next this year, while all my friends at school are excited to turn 18 this year. When I turn 18 everyone in the congregation as well as my family is expecting me to get baptised, and I have no where to turn, no where to look to but this forum for comfort.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

You've got all of us here, Alan. I know that's only a small comfort. But we're here for you buddy!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome Alan_56!

Proverbs 29:25 (English Standard Version)

25 The fear of man lays a snare,
    but whoever trusts in the LORD is safe.

Blessings,

Stephen

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Brilliant!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit