BIG talk with teenage son today

by Aussie Oz 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Yesterday i got to ask my kids what they thought of the convention they just had. Response was 'really good'. I asked what was good? Daughter liked the drama but could not say why or what the lesson was... so i figure she liked it because it was more interesting than the regular talks. Son commented on the girls...nuff said.

I asked about the generation change and they had no idea of course what i was refering to. It really pisses me off how the CORP keeps them all so dumbed down.

Anyway, today i got an hour free with my son and took the chance to talk...

I started by telling him that i felt that i was running out of time with him as he gets older he will probably not visist so much and one day i'll be ringing him and saying how i haven't seen you for two months...i have so much i want to say, so much i want to pass on. That one of my biggest regrets was not being able to spend the time with him that i should have been allowed.

I asked what would happen if you told the elders you wanted to get baptised now? He said they would say good on you...I comented that he would then have to have a little study of some book, be able to answer a lot of questions and be regular in the door to door work...and hey presto, you'll get baptised. I explained how they would baptize him even if he really had no idea of what the religion is all about, past and present.

i asked him what did he think was the most importand decision he would ever make? marriage or baptism? He chose baptism. I asked how old he though you should be before getting married, he said much older than 18. I asked what do they mean in the publications when they say 'not to marry in the bloom of youth'? He said not to when you are young and silly. So i asked, why then will they baptize you, the most important thing you will ever do, while you are young and silly? You cannot just change your mind. We talked about the affects of disfellowshipping or changing his mind on family and future wife and in law families etc.

we talked about how easy it would be to get baptised for the wrong reasons, like to marry a girl who may be baptised and wants a white kingdom hall wedding...

I asked, How do you feel about your religion? Do you think it is the one true path to god? To which after a pause said he thought it was. I asked why he thought it was and he replied because it makes sense. I responded that if he went to the doors preaching and asked a seventh day adventist about their religion, they too would probably say 'it makes sense'. After all, who would admit to being in a religion that made no sense at all? (He did ask what is the seven d..what?)

So i asked if he knew anything about other religions and he knew nothing. I said, then, when you go door to door, what are you really doing? He responded that he would be trying to convert them and tell them armageddon was comming. So i said that means basically, you are saying to them ''you are wrong, we are right, join us or die''?!

How can you KNOW you are right and they are wrong if you know nothing about them? you have to investigate their religion, at least, know the basics of the belief system. How can you be sure you are right? Would you not have to research your own religion too? I said, they tell you to provre all things to yourself. What books will they tell you to research? He said, the ones they wrote. I asked why would you trust only one side of the story? Can you trust the history they wrote? What will the JWs chose if history disagrees with the bible? He said, the bible. I asked why and we discussed how revision in history works and that it could be possible for them to do the same. How do you know the history is right. that they have not left stuff out? He comented the only way is to research sources other than their own words.

we talked about the importance of using the internet and libraries to see the other side. What if you read something horrid, what then? Prove it true or false. If its true, can you live with it, was it an honest mistake? You must do that over and over again or how can you say you KNOW you are in the one true religion?

I said that it is really sad though, that you cant go to an elder or your mum and say you have been reading stuff and have lots of questions. They will shut you down, tell you that its all nasty lies, and to never look again. They should be telling you to do that research, that there is nothing to hide, but they wont. Why not? We reviewed an earlier talk about other religions control of the internet to hide stuff. I suggested that if he wants to look up stuff and ask questions, not to do it on his mums computer as she will make it real tough. Do it on mine...if you asked questions they will tell you that you can look at jw.org, but not 'this one or that one etc' ans again asked why would they do that?

He asked, so, i cant do that after i get baptised? I expalined about how the watchtower has gone as far as telling the JWs that they can not think things that the governing body has not told them. That to keep holding onto a though can lead to D/F.

I referenced an earlier talk where he had said he once asked his mum how they knew they had the truth, and her answer of 'read the proclaimers book'. I said, you are 16, youare old enough to drive, old enough to be working and paying taxes, in 18 months time you will be old enough to drink legally, to get married, you are old enough to know the truth, to ask your father why he thinks it is not 'the truth'. I remarked that he already knew that was my position, so why not ask me why?

I said, i would be happy for him to be a jW, but only if he really does the deep research and still feels its true. I said i can respect that, but not if its just because it ''seems right'' or to get married, or because all your mates are etc

It was a pretty big talk and i hope the foregoing is not too muddled! I'm sure i left a lot of stuff out. but i hope you get the gist of my efforts to make him think. I am scared that he will just go with the flow, as so many do...

I think the door is open for me to show him watchtower quotes and to discuss them. And to look at the real history of the society. I made a point of not telling him anything 'apostate'. All directed at making him think think think.

i plan to print out some watchtowers that i will show him come from the JW site talking about the thought control and asking what he thinks, second will be to take him back to russells day and beyond, using only names and events talked about by the WT and then using wiki and google to look at those people Barbour, storrs etc and events for the real facts. a slow but steady trawl thru history, warts n all, especially the warts!

cheers

oz

• mamalove
    mamalove

wow that gave me shivers to read that! Good job dad! I think that you planted some seeds and he will digest that and think about it more than you realize. You are saving his life, just remember that. One thing I wish my DFd dad had done for me when I was a teenager (I am almost 31 now), is tell me that he would have my back no matter what. I could move out of my moms house and come live with him and he would be my buffer, my savior from my controlling mom who is ubber JW. If I would have known I had a place to go, I would have fled 17 years ago instead of making my exit a year ago. Keep up the good work!

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

Good for you oz, excellent way to get him to reason for himself the toof dosent teach you to do that so planting seeds will get him to ask you more questions. i am using a similar approach with my teen

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Thanks mamalove

we spent the afternoon at the new property we will move to next week I made sure he knows that he always has a home with me if he needs it, we have plenty of room for him to build a shed if he wants to keep a car project there as well. He already has plans for the 2 acre paddock... rally bashing, motor bike...

he knows that i will have his back, no matter what his choices in life

oz

• Quandry
    Quandry

he knows that i will have his back, no matter what his choices in life

This is the most important thing. He will feel confident that no matter what, you are like his safety net. Even if he should choose the org. right now, but later change his mind, he can inwardly know that you will be there to see him through.Every young person makes mistakes, but the lucky ones have parents that they can count on to love them and help them through life's bumps.

Great job as a dad! (I believe the expression is-good on you?)

• Essan
    Essan

Sounds like you handled that brilliantly. If you keep going like that I'm sure all will be well.

If he let's you put your case to him then, IMO, the basic formula of showing that they could not be "God's Org", or the "Faithful Slave" etc is the way to start. They lie about what they preached about 1914 back then and this lie is easy to prove. They say they qualified as FDS in 1914-1919, yet their history, which they hide, shows they could not possibly have qualified. Also, they lie about their history now, so they really can't "qualify" either back then or now. That, to me, is the key to most JW's exiting and I hear it's the main idea in the "Captives of a Concept" book. That's where I'd begin. But it seems like you have things well in hand.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

That was awesome OZ!!!

I love the questions you brought up with him, true, to the point and things to make him THINK!

I wish my dad told me these things before I joined this cult ...

One thing I remember from a video that Steve Hassan was in (helping people leave cults) was after you ask a great thinking question, we need to stop and keep quiet (until they break the silence). That silence is THE most crucial thing that needs to be done. He said even if the silence last for 10min not to break it, their brains are ticking away breaking down that wall, making them see/think of something they have never thought of before.

3Mozzies

• chickpea
    chickpea

not only was your summation of your discussion
    far from muddled, it was brilliantly sequential so
    that your son could step logically from one concern
    to another without feeling threatend or overwhelmed....

good on you papa oz

• Heaven
    Heaven

You're a great Dad, Aussie!

Good job giving kids another viewpoint, which is so important to keep their cognitive powers sharp and to break the hypnosis the WTS is exactly on them.

A big part of the reason for me and my bro's to have chosen not to go into the cult was because our parents weren't zealous when we were young. The whole thing was on again off again because my Dad wasn't big on any religious stuff when I was young. I was only after we all grew up and moved out and my Dad retired that they caught him at a vulnerable period in his life.

We've talked a lot on this forum about how so many JWs are depressed. This is the beginning of total disability. Once the mind becomes disabled, the rest of the person follows. This has happened over and over again in my family.

I am so glad you are being the voice of reason with your kids. I sure hope they see the real truth with you.

• laverite
    laverite

AWESOME father!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit