Blackness. If the JW religion is a majority black religion, is this a majority black board?

by Quillsky 29 Replies latest jw friends

• elderelite
    elderelite

just to add my .02 here... is it naive of me to think that the make up of the congregation is to be reflective of... well i dont know.. the area you live in? wouldn't local demographics play the major role? or is that just my "Jehovah is color blind" training kicking in?

• yknot
    yknot

I think noticing race is is less discerned as the generations get younger......

I will give WTS props on teaching most of us to be colorblind (granted they heaped up sexism)

• elderelite
    elderelite

what is wrong with sexism? who dosent like sex? (ism)?

• StAnn
    StAnn

Regarding this board, there is no such thing as race. There is no black board, there is no white board. This is a board for ex-JWs and current JWs. The only common thread here is a connection to the JWs. This board transcends race.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

I like what you're saying, StAnn, and I'm personally against the concept of "race" for many reasons. But I still think it's interesting to discuss whether JW's and ex-JW's skew towards people who identify themselves as black.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Actually Anne, lets be honest. This is a white board.

with black and blue lettering.

and ads of various colors.

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

Let's see.

According to the above, Blacks constitute 12.9% of USA population.

According to the Pew report, Blacks constitute 22% of JW's in the USA.

I would say this is highly disproportionate.

Syl

• Libelle
    Libelle

From my experience it seems like there are proportionately more black folks than your average mixed religion. As a matter of fact, my town's nickname is Caucasian Falls and there's about 50/50 black/white (with some "other" in there) at the local congregation.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Definitely NOT a black religion here in the UK.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My congregation was predominantly Asian. Depends on where you live.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit