Should I give my JW nephew a birthday card?

by serenitynow! 16 Replies latest jw friends

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

You could call him on the day and talk about the milestone of 16, even if you don't actually wish him a happy birthday. My parents have always acknowledged our birthdays, without actually saying 'happy birthday'...lol.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Thanks everyone. These are good suggestions.

• pirata
    pirata

I have always thought it would be fun to give a JW "you're one year closer to death (or the new system, whichever comes first)" card (because the day of one's death is better than the day of one's birth), but it could be taken the wrong way (especially with a child).

Seriously, you can just say Congratulations on reaching age __! Don't need to mention happy birthday.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I say have fun with it. If his mom and your mom can't handle it then it's their problem. Find a really funny card that says 'Happy Birthday' on it and go for it!

If you don't want to go that route, do what my daughter (who is a JW) did and take a Birthday card and change it to read 'Un-birthday'. Then you can sing him the Alice in Wonderland song - "Happy happy un-birthday to you."

You can get away with it because you're not wishing him a 'Happy Birthday'.

heh heh heh...

My daughter did this way back when, and the fella she sang the song to (a JW) was quite uncomfortable with it.

Regards,

Jim TX

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Well my nephew's b-day was yesterday, I just sent him a goofy text about being sweet sixteen. He thought it was funny.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

NFL tickets? You mean for that team where you live? Oh, that's aweful. Not as bad as Bengals tickets, though.
    Just kidding. Relax.

Help him outta that cult. Give him a late BD gift. Give him some attention over the upcoming holiday season, and a Xmas gift.

He's on the cusp of getting in or getting out. Do what you can to make it turn out the right way. Great day to you.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Gifts are good,,just don't say Happy Birthday (a bad word to them). That you love them no matter what,,proud of them. Leave the door open for him,,hopefully and good chance that he will be of the 66% youth that leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit