Challenge to DJeggnog Regarding his Lies.

by Essan 209 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Essan
    Essan

DJeggnog said: Please use the following link to see the scan that I only just uploaded to my website that comes from the original book, The Time is at Hand, Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 2 (1889), "Study IV, The Times of the Gentiles," pp.76-78... since my only goal here is to provide proof of what was written in the original 1889 release"

This scan DOES NOT come from the "original book" and does not prove "what was written in the original 1889 release", because it is NOT a first edition. It is an altered post 1915 edition.

Do you understand the difference between a book when it is first written and it's later EDITIONS (notice the word 'editions' includes the word EDIT)? Do you realize that all editions of the book will have the date 1889 on them because that was when the book was originally written, but later EDITIONS of the book, which have slightly altered text, will also have an indicator of which EDITION they are and when this EDITION was released? Go to the follwing link and see the listed editions of this book which the site has available:

http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/archive.htm#russell

Now, do you see the different editions of this book listed? Do see the dates of these editions, 1st edition, 1902 edition, 1911 edition, 1927 edition? Do you see the date the precedes all these different editions released in different years? 1889. Every edition has the date 1889 AS WELL as the date of the edition. This is because the book first published in 1889, but it doesn't mean that every book is an 1889 EDITION, and it doesn't mean every book has the same text. They don't.

Stop trying to pass off a doctored later edition - in which the Society has deceptively altered it's failed predictions to hide embarrassment - as a first edition or an "original book"! Are you stupid enough to not know the difference or deceptive enough not to care? Either way you should not be presuming to teach others nor to berate others who try to prize open you clam like narrow mind to point out a few hard facts to you.

It's INSANE that you are debating this because you have already been shown the quote from the 1915 Watchtower who lists the very changes made in the text! That too you can confirm independently. Go to the same link above find the Watchtower and see for yourself. So the Watchtower says that the text was changed in 1915 and even tells you what the changes were - you still don't admit it? Madness.

You've also see what the Internet Archive also has to sy about this book. Is this website also in on some 'conspiracy' to pretend that 1914 predictions were in the 1st edition but removed from later edition?

The Time Is At Hand by Charles Taze Russell

Description

"The Time is at Hand!," by Charles Taze Russell. Volume 2 of Millennial Dawn. First published in 1889 by the Watch Tower Society. The series was later re-titled Studies in the Scriptures. Predictions for the year 1914 were changed in later printings. Russell was succeeded by J.F. Rutherford, who later renamed the group Jehovah's Witnesses."

http://www.archive.org/details/TheTimeIsAtHandByCharlesTazeRussell

• Essan
    Essan

OK, Dj and any interested readers. Go to this link:

http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/archive.htm

Click on 'CT Russell Era"

Click on "1879-1916 Watchtower"

Find the March 1st 1915 Watchtower and the section "CHANGES IN 'SCRIPTURE STUDIES'" on the Watchtower page (not PDF page) 66.

It lists the changes, listing first the original 1889 text (which makes the 1914 predictions) then the changed 1915 text (Which edits these embarrassing failed 1914 predictions out).

This proves that the original text contained these predictions, that they were changed in 1915, that DJ's copy of 'The Time is At Hand' must be - according to the Watchtower itself - a post 1915 edition, because the exact text in his copy did not exist before 1915.

How many lines of disproof of your claim will be sufficient for you to admit you were wrong DJ? This is the third.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@peacedog:

I know it's been awhile since we were both posting to the same thread, only this one has gotten a bit silly, IMO. Let's take a look at what you quoted regarding what you are calling "pre-1914" and "post-1914" quotes from The Time is at Hand book:

This quote contains what you have here referred to as "pre-1914" from the book:

The original (pre-1914) printing of The Time is at Hand reads: "...the full end of their lease of dominion, will be reached in A.D. 1914; and that that date will be the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men." (pg 76-66)

And this quote contains what you have here referred to as "post-1914" from the book:

Later (post-1914) printings of The Time is at Hand read: "...the full end of their lease of dominion, will be reached in A.D. 1914; and that that date will see the disintegration of the rule of imperfect men." (pg 76-66)

"In this chapter we will present the Bible evidence proving that the full end of the times of the Gentiles, i.e., the full end of their lease of dominion, will be reached in A.D. 1914; and that date will be the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men...Firstly,That at that date the Kingdom of God, for which our Lord taught us to pray, saying, "Thy Kingdom come,"will obtain full, universal control, and that it will then be "set up," or firmly established, in the earth, on the ruins of present institutions. Secondly, It will prove that he whose right it is thus to take the domination will then be present as earth’s new Ruler..." - The Time Is at Hand (SS-2), 1907 ed., p. 76-78

@Essan indicates that he was quoting from the original release of this publication, but from the 1907 edition of the Time is at Hand book, and notice that he merges the text from two successive paragraphs together and that the words he underscores are "will then be present," ok?

Now the following quote is from both of these paragraphs:

In this chapter we present the Bible evidence proving that the full end of the times of the Gentiles, i.e., the full end of their lease of dominion, will be reached in A.D.: 1914; and that that date will see the disintegration of the rule of imperfect men.

And be it observed, that if this is shown to be a fact firmly established by the Scriptures, it will prove Firstly, That at that date the Kingdom of God, for which our Lord taught us to pray, saying, "Thy Kingdom come," will begin to assume control, and that it will then shortly be "set up," or firmly established, in the earth, on the ruins of present institutions.

Secondly, It will prove that he whose right it is thus to take the dominion

will then be present as earth's new Ruler; and not only so, but it will also prove that he will be present for a considerable period before that date; because the overthrow of these Gentile governments is directly caused by his dashing them to pieces as a potter's vessel (Psa. 2:9; Rev. 2:27), and establishing in their stead his own righteous government.will then be present as earth's new Ruler; and not only so, but it will also prove that he will be present for a considerable period before that date; because the overthrow of these Gentile governments is directly caused by his dashing them to pieces as a potter's vessel (Psa. 2:9; Rev. 2:27), and establishing in their stead his own righteous government.

Focusing just on that portion of the quote from which @Essan quoted in his post indicated above in blue, which comes from the bottom of page 76 and the top of page 77 of the Time is at Hand book, do you see in either of these two quotes that you provided in your post anything to suggest that Russell was teaching that Jesus would come in 1914? Would you conclude from reading the words "will then be present" indicated above in green that Russell is referring to Jesus' presence or to Jesus' coming? IOW, assuming, arguendo, that what @Essan says is true about a "pre-1914" printing and a "post-1914" printing, is there anything here that you can see in either version of this quote that supports @Essan's contention that Russell is talking about Jesus' coming?

If you should be of the belief that Russell is referring to "Jesus' presence," then please explain your reasons for so concluding to @Essan, but if you should instead be of the belief that Russell is referring to "Jesus' coming," then please explain your reasons for so concluding to me, for this is how I responded to the first of Essan's questions:

@Essan wrote quote:

DJ, Would you have us believe that Russell taught that the long prayed for "Kingdom would come" in 1914, in [its] fullest possible sense, in the earth, but that Jesus would somehow not have "come"?

@djeggnog wrote wrote:

But Russell didn't teach that "[God's] Kingdom would come" in 1914, and nothing you quoted in your post from The Time is at Hand book even suggested such a thing. What Russell actually stated was that "the full end of the times of the Gentiles ... will be reached in AD: 1914" after which the rule of imperfect men would begin to disintegrate. He didn't predict that 1914 would be the end of the Gospel age, which would culminate in Armageddon, followed by the beginning of the Millennial age and Christ's rule, did he?

Russell says nothing to suggest that he was predicting Jesus' coming in 1914, which is what @Essan quoted this text from The Time is at Hand book to prove. But where is the proof? Do you see it? I do not.

@djeggnog also wrote quote:

Russell then goes on to say as to the end of the Gentile times in 1914 that "if this is shown to be a fact firmly established by the Scriptures," then it would prove that the kingdom would "shortly be "set up," in the earth, on the ruins of present institutions," and that "he whose right it is" -- referring to the Lord Jesus Christ -- "will then be present as earth's new Ruler; and ... that he will be present for a considerable period before that date".

@Essan quoted this text from The Time is at Hand book as proof that "Russell must have predicted and proclaimed 1914 to be the year of Christ's 'Coming,'" but what he quoted doesn't even come close to proving his contention? What do you think, @peacedog? What Russell did teach though was that in 1914, Jesus "will then be present as earth's new Ruler," and now that we know, according to the Bible at 1 Timothy 6:16, that Jesus "dwells in [an] unapproachable light, whom not one of men has seen or can see," his presence would have to be an invisible one.

@djeggnog

• bohm
    bohm

Essan - 2
    Eggnog - 0

• debator
    debator

Djeggnog - 2

Essan - 0

• cantleave
    cantleave

Debator - you really are stupid.

• Essan
    Essan

DJ,

Peacedog is more than capable of refuting your nonsense, but seeing as you're referring to me I'm going to respond.

1. I didn't say I quoted a 1889 edition of the book, I indicated I was using the 1889 text. The text was changed in 1915, so any edition used before 1915 will not contain changes introduced after 1915 but will be the same in this regard as the original, understand?

2. If you take all of page 76 and page 77 of the The Time is At Hand in the original text, rather than the doctored text you quote, then it's perfectly blatant that Russell was predicting Christ would come in 1914. How can the Kingdom come on earth without it's King coming? But it's interesting you are focusing on only this page and these quotes, when you were provided with around two dozen quotes equally as explicit besides these.

3. You said: "But Russell didn't teach that "[God's] Kingdom would come" in 1914, and nothing you quoted in your post from The Time is at Hand book even suggested such a thing." but the original pre-1915 text of this book, which you have already seen, says on page 77:

"1914; and that date will be the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men. And be it observed, that if this is shown to be a fact firmly established by the Scriptures, it will prove - Firstly, that at that date, the Kingdom of God, for which our Lord taught us to pray, saying, "Thy Kingdom come", will obtain full, universal control, and will then be "set up", or fimply established, in the earth, on the ruins of present institutions."

So, if in light of that, you maintain that " Russell didn't teach that "[God's] Kingdom would come" in 1914, and nothing you quoted in your post from The Time is at Hand book even suggested such a thing", then I simply have to ask what it is you have been smoking and suggest that you stop.

4. So, you don't think that Russell saying that in 1914 Christ "will then be present as earth's new Ruler" - in the context of everything else he predicted for 1914 on that same page (in the original text) including: all the anointed being glorified as Kings, the Tribulation being passed, God's Kingdom just having come on earth, and been "set up" and established in the earth, the rule of men having concluded forever and all their institutions destroyed - you think this doesn't amount to a claim that Christ would come in 1914? Again, quit smoking strange things. This one page proves it, but I presented you with countless quotes besides this proving it. Russell proclaimed Christ to be "Present" from 1874 but he is clear that in 1914 he "will then be present" in a new capacity "as earth's new ruler". Thus, Russell predicted that, like the Kingdom Christians long prayed for, it's King would come in 1914. A Kingdom on earth coming without it's King coming? I think not.

5. You say "What do you think, @peacedog? What Russell did teach though was that in 1914, Jesus " will then be present as earth's new Ruler ," and now that we know, according to the Bible at 1 Timothy 6:16, that Jesus "dwells in [an] unapproachable light, whom not one of men has seen or can see," his presence would have to be an invisible one."

LOL. Typical and predictable obfuscation. I never said Russell predicted a visible coming. I just said Russell predicted Christ's coming for 1914. It was YOU who claimed that Russell neither predicted a visible NOR invisible coming, nor anything like it, for 1914. So don't try to move the goal posts now and try to make objections out of irrelevancies. The situation is rather like the JW view today. They are not necessarily expecting Jesus to appear visibly 'in person' at Armageddon, but they are expecting him to come, at some point, with supernatural phenomena and VERY visible effect on the earth - exactly as Russell falsely predicted for 1914.

You are the guy who flatly denied Russell predicted anything for 1914 and we haven't heard even the slightest retraction yet. You are trying to switch emphasis, contradicting yourself, and debate something that wasn't even claimed - a predicted visible coming - but haven't even admitted yet how desperately wrong you were to outrageously claim Russell predicted nothing for 1914?

How thoroughly dishonest and dishonourable you are.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Everyone else - 0

brotherdan - 607

• Essan
    Essan

Not 607 Dan, anything but 607!

What about 539? :)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

You want to take away my pretend points?!?!?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit