Encounter with JW's on the Street

by OnTheWayOut 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moshe
    moshe

Well as much as I hate that the kid got baptized, the JWs are doing no worse than a typical baptist church in dunking young kids. Yes, that guy was either lying or he was a total moron when it comes to JW dogmas.

• baltar447
    baltar447

DY, one or two weeks is lengthy?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Isn't it amazing how much we think we know at the ripe old age of ten?

• flipper
    flipper

OTWO- Excellent effort on your part ! Well done. As others said- both these guys will have what you said indelibly stamped into their brains for posterity . LOL ! If they were misinformed about disfellowshipping you can bet a dollar to a donut they will go back to their local congregation and ask the elders if what you told them is true or not. And I wish I were a fly on the wall when they tell their elders they talked with an ex-elder ! I'd love to see some elders jaws a-droppin '. LOL ! What you did is all any of us can do- try to open minds up and free minds as well. Keep the good work up ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• nextdoorgirl
    nextdoorgirl

Flipper's comment reminded me again: I LOVE YOU OTWO!!

I'm loving the fact that you stated your credential, knowledge and authority (to them, anyways) as a former elder!! Gotta love it! You blew their minds in only the purest way. Awesome! I wish I could be just like you!!!

WooHOOOOO!!!! Score for the TEAM!

• neverendingjourney
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I think this exemplifies cognitive dissonance at work. I tried to post a Ray Franz quote from In Search of Christian Freedom last night, but I couldn't get my computer to work.

The gist of the quote is that people have to conform their thoughts and attitude to their actions in order to avoid psychological discomfort (cognitive dissonance). The Society mandates a rigid program of "theocratic" activities, and as a natural result, members begin to justify and defend the Society's positions so that their thoughts can be in harmony with their actions. Thus, when confronted with logical fallacies or downright cruel behavior, Witnesses tend to minimize their importance, or in some cases, pretend they don't exist.

The young man seems to have gone from outright denying that shunning of family members is practiced (perhaps justifying this statement by thinking of a few examples where Witnesses ignore this rule and pretending that situation is the norm rather than the exception) to minimizing its importance by saying that it didn't matter because HE would never leave the JWs anyway.

The situation you described doesn't surprise me. I've not surveyed conditions around the world, but from my own experience, I can see that JW youth are particularly ignorant of their beliefs. This is probably the result of some 20 years of the Society's moving away from trying to empirically and Biblically convince members that they have the truth in favor of simply beating the members over the head with messages of obey the Slave at all cost.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit