For believers, how does God discipline those he loves?

by journey-on 31 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

When I was a JW, I thought this referred to private reproof, public reproof, or disfellowshipping. In light of a recent conversation concerning the true meaning of justice and the balance between mercy and judgment, I would like to know what your thoughts are regarding His disciplinary "methods" and Heb. 12.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    I thought this referred to private reproof, public reproof, or disfellowshipping.

Interesting that you refer only to "negative" types of discipline.

I don't believe that's how God is.

But when you are a JW, yes, discipline is usually negative.

• beksbks
    beksbks

What have you done JO?

• journey-on
    journey-on
    What have you done JO?

Wouldn't you like to know (If we weren't such mortal enemies, I'd pm you and tell you ;-)

when you are a JW, yes, discipline is usually negative

Isn't that the truth!

(I really would like some serious thoughts on this.)

• snowbird
    snowbird

At the beginning of Hebrews 12, the writer relies heavily on Proverbs 3 and 4 to make his points.

Those proverbs point out the need for discernment, understanding, and wisdom on our parts.

How do we get those qualities?

By being disciplined - taught, corrected, guided - by our Heavenly Father, using the example set by His Son, Jesus of Nazareth, as the standard. Such discipline allows us to see where we need to make improvements; therefore, it is a continual process.

Depending on the circumstances, it can be gentle, firm, and sometimes, quite harsh. Yet, I firmly believe it is beneficial to submit to such correction.

Syl

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hehehe I'll PM and tell YOU.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

you are disciplined by being put in situation after situation until you "choose rightly".

this planet is a testing ground and life is a mine field.

• journey-on
    journey-on

snowbird....maybe I'm a bit dense tonight (or distracted ;-).....but give me an actual example of how this discipline might be meted out and the methods one would use to submit to it.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Did I mention that He always leaves the door open, even if we fail grievously?

He is an awesome God!

Syl

• journey-on
    journey-on
    this planet is a testing ground and life is a mine field.
    That's interesting, cameo-d. For what purpose do you think we are being tested and by whom?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit