Typical JW question: "Well, what ELSE is there?"

by SweetBabyCheezits 15 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Agonus, you are right - sorry Sam.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here is yet another blatant misrepresentation of the Bible intended to prevent the witlesses from looking elsewhere. They say "WHERE else shall we turn", meaning the Washtowel Slaveholdery is the only source of truth. That's not what the Bible said: The Bible said "To WHOM else shall we turn", meaning it was Jesus that had the message they wanted to hear.

If we were to take that the way it was intended to be taken in the Bible, it would mean we should turn to Jesus, regardless of where we get the information from. We could take the Bible and just the Bible and read it, and get the same information that Jesus preached (at least, as the writers remembered it after 40+ years of corruption and forgetting important details). We do not need a specific religion to turn to Jesus: Meaning, if it were taken that way, the Washtowel Slaveholdery would be up sxxx creek without a paddle.

And, the Washtowel doesn't even turn to Jesus. They turn to their own Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger.

• watersprout
    watersprout

Enjoy every moment of every day, because we only get one shot at this life!

I noticed when i was a dub, i was wishing my life away! I truly believed that i wouldn't grow old! Everything that i wanted in life a beautiful home home, car, rewarding job, lots of children was to be set on the back burner cause in the paradise i would get all that and more, well if the elders allowed it, that is! So it was good that we struggled in every aspect of our lives cause that meant Jehovah would bless us in the paradise! Yes that reasoning [ if you can call it reasoning] was well and truly blown out the window!!!!!!!!!!

I know a couple personally from our old cong elder/window cleaner, wife stays at home looks after babies. They have had their mortgage on interest only payments for 7 years. They have said they will keep their mortgage payments as low as possible because armageddon is coming so they will never have to bother repaying the mortgage! Are they in for a shock when their mortgage term ends!

Peace and light

• Quando
    Quando

I hear that also about what else is there? I am convinced that people have to follow something to feel whole.

All I know is when my family starts in about the paradise I am having fun playing with their minds. I have even told a family member that agonized over something she did and hoped it would not ruin her chances of getting into paradise that "it will be ok their are no tears and sorrow in paradise so no one will miss you"

Always planting little seeds

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

John 6:68 actually says "To whom else shall we go?" it is speaking of a person, not an org. That aside...the Wt stands or falls on its own merit...NOT on what else is out there. if the house is burning down you leave- not dilly dally to decide where to go.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Some excellent responses there!

Just to reiterate (since my title may be misleading), this question is not the more common, "Whom shall we go away to?", but is directed more at my disbelief of the bible itself and a general disdain for organized religion: "If you don't believe the bible, what hope DO you have? How can you live your life thinking this is all there is?"

I could say my "hope" is that by some surprise the unknowable is better than, well, simple nonexistence. But I have absolutely no reason to place all my chips on that hope. Nor am I distraught over the fact that this life may be it. If anything it makes me want to use my time as wisely as possible and do my part to leave the earth a better place.

Is that a purpose? I feel like it is. In fact, I believe part of our obligation is to find a way to encourage critical thinking in young people so as to head off the spreading of misinformation. Starting with my own children, that's what I'm doing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit