Typical JW question: "Well, what ELSE is there?"

by SweetBabyCheezits 15 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

This has been posed to me a number of times since I've defected and expressed doubt in the bible. (Well, started defecting. Er, that just sounds nasty.)

Their question isn't the more common, "Whom shall we go away to?", though. It's more of a, "If you don't have a paradise hope and you question the bible, what hope DO you have? How can you live your life thinking this is all there is?"

I try to explain that I'm comfortable with not having all the answers, considering nobody else knows the real answers to the biggest questions, that "I don't know" is acceptable and that it's impossible for me to re-delude myself with old ideas at this point. So why would I try to fake it in my head?

But the thought of no paradise hope seems completely dismal to them. (And maybe it's been so long that I've forgotten how it would've seemed to me.)

I like to imagine that I was given a piece of paper as a child showing I've been given a herd (?) of unicorns, which I will receive on my 21st birthday. At some point, if (when) I come to realize unicorns are imaginary, I may be a little disappointed but I should quickly grasp that I can’t lose anything I never had to begin with. In fact, it’s a bit comforting to know I’m not alone, since billions of other people have a similar slip of paper and yet they are still deluded into thinking unicorns are real, too. (Just my perspective. Maybe I'm deluded still, eh?)

Plus, while it would be cool to have some unis in my backyard, I can now focus my efforts on a real future instead of trying to secure property and a barn for my imaginary flying friends.

How would you respond? Agnostics/athiests, that is.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

They need to be told that it is possible to have an enjoyable life now, and that's what you're doing. All you can do is appreciate life one day at a time.

• agonus
    agonus

How about a life where dreams - or at least the pursuit thereof - are not crushed by men whose dreams never came true? Pretty easy answer for me.

• agonus
    agonus

It might be. But as a Dub you'd never know either way.

I can guarantee you, being a closet unbeliever in the Watchtower IS a horrible experience.

• sabastious
    sabastious

"Where else would we go"

translates into

"How could I justify the LARGE sacrifices I have made in my life for the WT if I left?"

-Sab

• agonus
    agonus

Justify them the same way we all did. We were under the spell and most of us for some time really believed it.

• asilentone
    asilentone

Sab, You have made a very good point!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

If you don't have a paradise hope and you question the bible, what hope DO you have? How can you live your life thinking this is all there is?"

There is actually 2 questions there and shows a very common JW mistake. Just because a person questions the Bible does not mean they do not have a hope. There are a range of concepts for an afterlife, since an afterlife is the sole purpose for the existence of religion. Even agnostics commonly believe in an afterlife, but just are unsure of what it will be.

The second question assumes the person is an athiest with no concept of an afterlife. Athiests seem to enjoy life just as much, as there is no fear of the future, just a non-existence. Each day becomes more valuable and enjoyable.

Sam Harris and a close JW relative of mine both have a short time left due to oesophagus cancer. Neither seem to be taking it well. Despite the JW having an apparent resurrection hope, they still are suffering at the concept of loss. It indicates to me that people very much live in the day; any religious future hope is only no where near as powerful.

• agonus
    agonus

jwfacts, I think you mean Christopher Hitchens

How about the hope of life in Heaven with my Personal Lord and Saviour?

ZIIIIING!!!

• agonus
    agonus

JW response:

Life WHERE with your Personal WHAT and WHO the hell?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit