Stephen Hawking on God and creation of the Universe

by Terry 32 Replies latest members politics

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

Ive heard God explained as a nothingness with the potential for infinite creation.

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change
    Just like drinking and driving don't mix, philosophy and physics don't mix.

Sure they do !!

The Tao of PhysicsThe Dancing WuLi Masters

• JWoods
    JWoods

The Tao of Physics and The Dancing Wu Li Masters are not physics.

These books are just new-age philosophy.

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

While I am sure there are criticisms to be made of the works, I'm not sure I would write them off as just 'new-age philosophies'. Fritjof Capra would appear to be a fairly qualified physicist and at least "claims" to have had some good discussions with Werner Heisenberg re: "The Tao of Physics".

http://www.fritjofcapra.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tao_of_Physics

There is physics in these books, the conclusions, however, are up to the reader to agree or disagree with.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Well, maybe I was a little harsh on those books - but, I have read both and did not find them to be serious strict science...

BTW, if I am reading Hawking correctly, he seems to be saying that the Universe sort of bootstrapped itself into existence out of nothing.

This pretty much violates the principle of entropy never decreasing in closed systems, IMHO.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

So, some dancer named Wu Li has a masters in physics and wrote a book about philosophy. It doesn't mean I'll buy that a dancer is a philosophic genius.

Artists will argue that they are the greatest philosophers in the universe.

Religionists will argue that they are the greatest philosophers in the universe.

A publishing company named Watchtower thinks that THEY are the bastion of truth better than any philosophy.

Prostitution is considered the oldest profession, so it is probably the underpinning of the careers of both philosophers and physicists.

Perhaps we give each of them a case of beer and a car with a full gas tank and see whose philosophy wins.

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

I have been to a few lectures by Hawkings and read a couple of the books and his latest suggests that the laws of physics haven't been comprimised but the boundaries of what he deemed the universe is much greater to the point of almost infinite.

This much bigger system then, when using laws such as "energy cannot be created or destroyed, merely change state" and what we know about stars and galaxies and even the universe shows that a constant change with new stars being created and others dying out and energy is always shifting and this changing. This would also suggest that there is not a God.

God for what we know of him based on the bible, created stars and the earth, man and woman, did it all in 6 days and then sat back. Nowhere does it say that he continued to make more stars or snuff others out.....

However the system had to start somehow, no matter how big you set the boundaries.....but then that is the ultimate question.

Then again in about 5 billion years time it won't matter! The sun will have made earth too hot for life to survive and after this swallow the earth as it becomes a supernova and its all gone!

If you think about the sentence above, thats kind of funny! Dubs spend their lives living in fear of not making it to paridise on earth for everlasting life, yet even if you did make it to there your still going to get fried in 5 bn years time when the sun dies!

• donuthole
    donuthole

Well, I guess that settles that.

• Terry
    Terry

While I am sure there are criticisms to be made of the works, I'm not sure I would write them off as just 'new-age philosophies'.

Here is the problem with those silly books. Physics is about math, measurement, experiment, falsifiability and control.

The authors of the books change all that into word metaphor and wing it. Without the math they are pulling their conclusions out of their ailimentary canal.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I ordered this book from Amazon last week and it shipped today. I'll be anxiously awaiting it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit