Young JW's

by XPeterX 36 Replies latest jw friends

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

It's funny to me that with all of the apologists that pop up here from time to time, nobody defends the WTS pressuring their youth to get baptized...

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Don't say that! Alice will come up with a ridiculous justification for anything. She's not afraid to look dumb.

• poopsiecakes
  • Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

That statistic seems to hold true for my family. Me, my sister and 13 first cousins were all raised as JWs. Only 5 stayed in the cult. So that's 5 out of 15. Of those cousins children, I know of at least one that is no longer a JW. But I really don't know for sure about the rest.

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

Brotherdan said:"I would venture to say 90% of those that make it to 18 without getting baptized never will."So true,I am 20 and the only one young adult in my congo who's not baptised.As I mentioned in another topic the millitary issue is what keeps me still in otherwise I would have left a looooooooong time ago.

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

I have to agree. I was baptized at 16, under peer pressure. If I had to do it over, I'd stall until I was moved out of the house. I'd say a fair amount of any emotional issues I've had in my life are due to this feeling of being trapped into something I'm not totally convinced of. I've always wondered what was wrong with me. Now I know, there is nothing wrong with me, it was just a decsion made by a child. Now, however, I have to live with the consequences.

Is it true I knew what I was getting myself into? Yes. But, was it out of my deep love of God? No. Therefore, I would consider my baptism invalid even though the Organization does not recognize this sort of situation.

DS

• ghostt
    ghostt

THE MAJORITY OF YOUNG PEOPLE GET BAPTIZE TO PLEASE THIER PARENTS, EVEN IF THEY SAY IS FOR JEHOVAH, THEY ARE DOING IT TO BE ACCEPTED BY THIER FAMILY AND JEHOVAH WITNESSES. WHEN THEY REACH A MATURE AGE THAT IS WHEN THEY REALIZE THE MISTAKE THEY MADE AND SO THEY LEAVE THE RELIGION. THE ONES THAT STAY WITH TIME BECOME MISARABLE AND CONFUSED, THEY FEEL THAT THEY HAVE LOST SOMETHING, AND THAT SOMETHING IS THEIR FREEDOM TO THINK AND TO CHOOSE.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hi Ghostt - welcome. Good point.

Just a pointer - full capitilisation is seen as shouting and poor internet protocol (don't mean to criticise).

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I agree with poopsie. I am 30 years old and being held to a commitment that I didn't fully understand that I was making at 13 years old. I thought I was dedicating my life to God and the pursuit of truth, not an organization above all else.

TOTALLY agree!!!! At 32yrs old now, I look back and think "WHY did I not hold out?" My parents made it clear that NO adult children would be in their home - unbaptized. So, at 14 I took that dip! And in a letter to my folks, I asked them how I can be held to a decision I made (well...was pushed to make) as a child? I couldn't vote, couldn't get married, couldn't drink alcohol or even work FT to support myself, yet I was 'old' enough to promise my LIFE to a religion? That day of my baptism, I swore I was doing the right thing to make mom and dad happy (not any God). Little did I know that my parents approval would be a losing battle - hahahahaha.

• johnnyblazedog
    johnnyblazedog

This is my first post here!!!!

Wing comaander quote-"Some of these still come to the Memorial once a year to appease the parents/grandparents, but when they do it's in khakis or jeans as a sign of defiance. Classic!!!!"

Yeah I used to go to the memorial to please my parents, at first I used to dress up but the last few times I arrived to the memorial on my motorcycle, jeans and leather jacket. As I exited the parking lot I gunned the engine and popped a wheelie down the street......it was awesome!! HAHA I just want to go back and do some donuts and wheelies in the parking lot and flip everybody off as they leave the "Kingdontcome".-lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit