What happened to the fish in the great flood?

by Beans 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Englishman
    Englishman

Alan F:

Snap.

Englishman.

..From the scepter'd Isle kept free by 2 fins and 4 Merlins.

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

God would know the secret of the sea and fresh water equilibium for many fish to have survived. It has been scientifically shown, that many species can adapt. As shown from the following, there are those fish that are GENERALLY thought not to have been able to survive brackish water and have...

What fish can't be kept in a brackish water aquarium?

Obviously the best fish for a brackish water aquarium are fish that naturally come from brackish water. It often happens that an aquarist wants to mix some brackish water species into a regular community tank.

Cichlids, livebearers, and killifish are usually quite tolerant of a small amount of salt, provided they are not species from soft or acid waters. Provided the pH and hardness of the aquarium are maintained, a community of these sorts of fishes can have a little salt added (up to around 1.005); and fishes from weak brackish water. More salt cannot be added, which will limit the range of brackish water fishes kept. For example, acara (Aequidens) and hardy killifish like Pachypanchax playfordi will do well in the slightly salty water enjoyed by mollies and spiny eels.

On the other hand there are some fishes that tolerate little or no salt at all. The Ostariophysi are ain imprortan group of freshwater fishes which are generally intolerant of salt. Within this group are such common aquarium fish as tetras, goldfish, minnows, barbs, loaches, rasboras and danios. Catfish are also members of this group, although three families of catfishes (the families Aspredinidae, Ariidae, and Plotosidae) are adapted to salt water. Salt intolerant catish include many of the commoner sorts like as the dwarf catfishes (Callichthyidae) including the popular Corydoras catfish. Some of the larger species of sucking catfishes (Loricariidae) such as the pleco Hypostomus, are very robust and with care can be kept in slightly brackish aquaria, below a specific gravity of 1.005.

I'm sure God knows where the equilibrium is/was and what could have survived. As has been shown by other articles, many fish can adapt. Those that could not, could have been relative to a brackish species and re-acclimated itself to it's former environment post flood.

I also believe that during the flood, many species died and never returned. Just like the dinosaurs died off. What we have left now is those that survived the flood and adapted themselves to their present day conditions.

The flood is the least of my "is God real" worries. I mean, heck, who does God think He is parting river waters in two anyway? How dare He defy the physical laws He Himself created.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    I asked that question when I was a kid.

Here is the answer I got: "Jehovah used his power to temporarily change the fish so they could all survive the water."

My (ill-taken) response: "So why didn't Jehovah just change EVERY living thing that way instead of killing all but two of each and saving NOAH the trouble of making the ark?"

Great Point David G. Same goes for parting the river, huh? Why not let them walk over it? Like the J man?

• David Gladden
    David Gladden

Yeah, the god of the bible seems to do things the hard way most of the time.

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole

Brackish water can support many species of both salt and fresh water fish. Rain HOH and subterranean HOH + Salt HOH = Brackish HOH

Salt and fresh water can, for a while, be layered, especially if the ambient conditions are proper.

To whom this might apply: Why try to make interesting basic inquiries into an excuse for trying to undermine the Bible. Best to try to figure out what the Bible means rather then redefining things you don't care to understand.
    Further, read the following:

Genesis 7

21 And ALL FLESH died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:

22 all in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

All means ALLLLLLLLLL, like ALL around the earth
    I can see it now. David said, "Well where did those dinosours come from?" Oh, well, they're still here you see. They were on the dry part during the flood. Duhhhh.
  • Englishman
    Englishman

Sorry you pro-flood guys, but if you know anything at all about fish you would know that fish that can tolerate both salt and fresh water are very much in the minority. Virtually every South American river fish can't even live in hard water let alone with the slightest degree of salt. So that's one continent in which all the fish would have been killed.

You pro-flood guys should swot up on how http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c037.html deals with this problem, personally I find the arguments put forward to be highly imaginative.

Still, you can't say I'm not giving you a fair crack!

Englishman.

..From the scepter'd Isle kept free by 2 fins and 4 Merlins.

• SYN
    SYN

David G: Awesome response, you rock! What did they say in response to that little humdinger???

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone." -- Charles Darwin, The Origin Of Species, 1869.

• SYN
    SYN

This is actually something I never thought about, but I agree with Englishman that most fish would have pegged straight away. Pomegrenate: How the fug would those fish have ADAPTED in 40 days? (Well much less actually?) Seeing as how they would have DIED instantly when the salinity of their water changed so violently? A world flood is absolute POPPYCOCK. I'm sorry, but that's just too unbelievable.

That Christian flood article was interesting, but bogus, because of the timescales involved. Sure, I agree that fish can adapt, but it would take much longer than 40 days. We wouldn't have a very large variety of fish in the world today (or much other marine life for that matter) if the world flood really had occurred only about 4000 (or however many THOUSANDS) of years ago.

Has anyone here read the papers by some geologist who's name I've temporarily misplaced, wherein he stated that the Mediteranean (sp?) ocean was dry until about 6000 years ago, after which it was filled by the opening of the Straight of Gibralter (sp?). Maybe that would account for all the legends, seeing as how it was in the same sort of area as Noah would have been in (roughly speaking now)...?

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone." -- Charles Darwin, The Origin Of Species, 1869.

• AlanF
    AlanF

SYN, your memory is not complete about the Mediterranean Sea thing. During the 1970s there was a lot of research into the history of the Mediterranean Basin. Geologists did a lot of drilling into the sea bottom and discovered that the sea had dried up and refilled many times, in the vicinity of 4 to 6 million years ago. An interesting book about the history of this discovery is The Mediterranean Was A Desert (now out of print) by Kenneth Hsu, one of the geologists on a drill ship. Over the years, much more has come to light. The Mediterranean dried up when Africa pushed northward and blocked the Strait of Gibraltar. Later, for reasons not clearly known, the Strait opened up and allowed the Atlantic to rush back in and fill the basin again. That this happened many times is shown by the presence of many interbedded deposits of marine, brackish and land sediments such as sea bottom mud, thick salt layers, and normal soil. Today, an average of about 200 meters of sea bottom sediments cover the Mediterranean floor.

AlanF

• SYN
    SYN

Oh well AlanF, that's my theory out the window then! Could you mail me privately about this, it's very interesting, the last time I read anything about this was a hell of a long time ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy about it...!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit