I am a DEIST!!!!.............I think.

by tyydyy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

According to Webster?

Deism- A movement or system of thought advocating natural religion based on human reason rather than revelation emphasizing morality and in the 18th century denying the interferance of the creator with the laws of the universe.

Has anyone studied at this school of thought????

TimB

Tim and I were doing our bible study this afternoon, cough cough...and lo and behold the dictionary was open. It occured to us that being a deist might not be so bad, even if it did emphasize the concept of morality. If in fact we have free will we could exercise it without the big alien in the sky getting in the way. Never hurts to have at least one or two morals anyway....

Sincerely
    Valis, District overbeer

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Labels!

Bleurrggh!!!

Nic'
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.do-not-call.org

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I'm confused. Are you Valis or Tyydyy that's a Deist?

Andi

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Geez, valis...are you STILL there??????

April
    I was angry with my friend; I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe; I told it not, my wrath did grow. (William Blake, A Poison Tree)
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/171905

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Oh bloody hell! I thought the title was "I am a DOist"..grumble, grumble

Hey ((((Andi)))) Hope you're doing okay, been thinking about you.

Dana

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Well, I agree with Nic in that labels are ugly and not necessary for healthy individuals. However, it can be helpful to compare your own ideas with those of others and formulate your own ideas and beliefs. When your beliefs are similar to those of others there seems to be a kind of kinship that surfaces. But it's important to be careful about forming aliances and separating into labelled groups in an attempt to validate your existance. As long as you don't get to feeling that your labelled beliefs are somehow more correct than some other labelled beliefs I suppose it does no real harm.

As to the ideas labelled as "Deist" I tend to personally see the value in them and consider myself in basic agreement with them. One of the foremost proponents of those ideas was Thomas Paine in the 18th century. Read the "Age of Reason" and you will see what I mean.

But Deist is just a label given by those who classify such things as theology so don't get too excited about trying to classify your own beliefs. You will likely find that you agree or disagree with many ideas not officially considerred "Deist".

Take care,

Sean

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

I stumbled across a page on deism the other day tyy, and it seemed matched up pretty closely with my line of thinking as well. There were some things that didn't mesh, but for the most part pretty darn close! Here is the page I read:

* http://www.religioustolerance.org/deism.htm

Here is part of what is listed there.

The term "Deism" originally referred to a belief in one deity, as contrasted with the belief in no God (Atheism) and belief in many Gods (Polytheism). During the later 17th century, "Deism" began to refer to forms of radical Christianity - belief systems that rejected miracles, revelation, and the inerrancy of the Bible. Currently, Deism is no longer associated with Christianity or any other established religion. Then, as now, Deism is not a religious movement in the conventional sense of the world. There is no Deistic network of places of worship, a priesthood or hierarchy of authority.

nicolaou,

I know what you mean about labels. Reminds me of a song by the 80s band TESLA entitled "Call it what you want" The writer of the song Jeff Keith wrote it out of frustration in people trying to pigeon hole their music into one category or another:

Call it what you want

I'm in love with a lady and I know
    The lady's in love with me.
    And she knows that I'll always be there.
    That's why she's a-willin' and ready.
    But now and then, ev'ry once in a while
    Something inside of me, maybe inside of her.
    Have you ever had one of those days when it all is going wrong?
    And it just can't seem to get along.
    But through it all you know you're gonna make it.

Call it true love, call it not meant to be.
    You can call it anything at all, ya see.
    Call it what you want.
    It's all the same to me.

Music means alot to me.
    Like love I make it when I can.
    All I am is all I'll ever be,
    And that's just a boy from Texarkana.
    But now and then, Oh, but once in a while,
    They start treatin' me like some kinda superstar.
    Need I mention at the end of the day what matters most of all.
    It's not where you're at, but where you're comin' from.
    When all is said and done.
    You can call it...

Heavy metal, hard-core, punk, pop, or thrash.
    You can call it anything it don't matter to me.
    Call it what you want.
    It's all music to me.

Call it communism, call it free.
    Some call the ocean what some call the sea.
    Call it what you want.
    It doesn't change a thing for me. Not a thing.

Baby's lyin' in a cradle.
    Universe is all within its reach.
    Wearin' rags or mink and sable.
    Needs a guiding hand or it's out on the street.
    Now, momma's out, she's never at home.
    Daddy's takin' care of business, he's out on the road.
    It's rainin' cats and dogs.
    But the child within us all must face the storm.

Call it individuality.
    Some call it fate, others reality.
    Call it what you want.
    It doesn't matter to me.

Call it communism, call it free.
    Some call the ocean what some call the sea.
    Call it what you want.
    It doesn't change a thing for me.

Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity. Lord Acton 1834-1902

• Valis
    Valis

Did I mention that the version of Websters we were looking at also had some other words that might classify a few of my beliefs....

First Word on The Page: Degenerate

Followed by some others I fancied:

degrade
    degradation
    degree of freedom
    deil
    deinstitutionalize
    deity....myself of course
    and lastly: deja vu

Thanks for putting up w/unScottish crap...just trying to classify some of my beliefs.

Sincerely,
    District Overbeer

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Hey Valis,

Do ya think God is trying to speak to you through Webster's Dictionary? It's possible. I mean on the next page you have:

Delaware
    delicate
    delicious
    delight
    delightful
    Delilah
    delinquent

Say all those words in one sentence and you have a great prophecy.

TimB

• Valis
    Valis

Billygoat...sorry for the late reply. I'm not a deist, as one has to believe there was a Dog to begin with. We were just having a good discussion over beer and happen to look down at Websters. I think Tim's dictionary is bedevilled w/demons. Either that or the alien implant was relaying messages again.

Tatiana, yes still here. District Overbeers always overstay their welcome. heheheh...

Sincerely,
    District But Not Too Strict Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit