Jehovah's Witnesses are depressing

by wannabefree 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Learning the truth about my faith as a JW (that it is wrong) actually has resulted in me having a more positive outlook on life, postive about today even though it has its problems.

But today, speaking with close JW friends (strong Witnesses at that), I find myself hearing nothing but depressed thoughts. When everything you talk about as a witness is how terrible the world is but SOON (for over 100 years) the "New System" will be here ... just hang on ... is it any wonder so many JW's are on anti-depressants?

It is depressing being surrounded by depressed people.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Yeah, the thought that Jesus is about to slit the throat of tens of millions of Asian babies is DEPRESSING.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

leavingwt: I agree. I feel so much better about people in general. What a relief looking at people as fellow humans who display love in their own way without the thought in the back of the mind that they are worldly and soon going to die.

• designs
    designs

WHAT! Harping on the End Of The World isn't Cheery, you're kidding

• cult classic
    cult classic

When I stopped thinking like a witness, my mood increased by a gazillion %

• cantleave
    cantleave

I still work with a load of them - I just lock myself in the office and only talk to them when I really have to. They really are NOT the happiest people on earth.

• will_the_apostate
    will_the_apostate

cantleave - i love the expression 'happiest people'. most dubs are maladjusted, social misfits, whom suffer from some form of depression

• designs
    designs

But with enough Zoloft pumping through your system you can be the happiest people on the planet

• ex-witness
    ex-witness

No matter how many times you say it, over and over, trying to CONVINCE YOURSELF you're happy is like trying to piss up a rope. It's futile and stinks.

Sadly, JWs don't even realize they're the rope, WTBTS is the piss.

• EmergedAsMe
    EmergedAsMe

Couldn't agree more... The realization that every conversation I ever had (with Jws) was not "uplifting" (to borrow a WTism) was a catalyst to my exit... I just couldn't take the negativity anymore!!

I feel so sorry for JWs trapped inside the misery and they don't even realize it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit