In the past, FAKE newspaper coverage of WT "International Conventions" in the US

by AndersonsInfo 57 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

Interesting (And funny) Barbara

Thanks!

• Farkel
    Farkel

Barb,

Re: "The Syndicate": "Timothy White" also talks about Russell "being required' to dress in expensive clothes and travel expensively in his excellent book "A People For His Name." For those of you who are interested, this book is now available again after decades of being out-of-print. Check Amazon.com if you are interested. It contains much information I've never seen elsewhere.

On another note, I believe it was Bert Schroeder who semi-lamented over the witch hunt and DFing of Ray Franz, AFTER Franz wrote COC! I'll bet that privately they did much more than "semi-lament" when Ray exposed their bullcrap for the entire world to see.

Now, YOU come along and forever are revealing all of their best-kept and dirtiest little secrets, and I can't help but think they must be scratching their heads and saying the same thing about you! Too, late, boys! Barb's outta-da-bag and won't shut up any longer!

Ka-ching for you!

Warmly,

Fark

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Brother C. Wood, a very good and longtime friend of mine, worked for Watchtower’s PR machine for large conventions. He worked the big conventions in NY in 1953 and 1958. The special edition fake newspapers always bothered him.

Newspapers would publish special edition rags that targeted a large audience as a means to attract advertising revenue from local venders. They also wanted to make money on the target audience by selling the papers. The needed to know what turned on the target audience in order to achieve this business interest. According to my friend Woody Watchtower knew this and leveraged it for purposes of financial subsidy and propaganda. Knowing of the business interest of newspapers, Watchtower would approach them with articles ready to publish. Watchtower placed two conditions on use of their articles. 1) The newspaper had to give them a piece of the money pie and 2) the same paper also had to run local, regional and nation articles on other subjects.

Woody deplored this practice. Watchtower made money off the Witnesses without them knowing it, and worse Watchtower used these articles to show how news of its convention trumped even national news.

Marvin Shilmer

• smiddy
    smiddy

The same thing happened at the "International"convention held in melbourne during the 60`s,and was still occurring at district conventions I attended in brisbane during the 90`s.I too was dissallusioned when I discovered this practice.

smiddy

• kazar
    kazar

I too am surprised by this revelation. What lengths the Society would go in order to keep the flock hoodwinked. It's disgusting. Thanks.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I am gobsmacked and disgusted by this crap of a religion.

every day i learn something new about the FRAUD THAT IS THE JEHOVAH"S WITNESSESS.

makes me feel sick in my stomach with worry that i wont be able to snatch my children from the bog

oz

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

My dad was the Public Relations Servant for our local circuit and also for the District Conventions. As a child I remember going 2 weeks early to the convention site every summer so he could do the PR work and get all the press releases sent out in preparation for the convention. I remember the big bulletin board at the conventions where all the clippings from the local and surrounding newspapers were displayed after coming out in print.

I also remember that he indeed did write these releases and I remember conversations about the coverage and how good it was.

That brings back memories! I did a short stint in the conventions' News Service Department before the Society 'simplified' everything (and I wasn't very good at it). Yes, we had to find human interest stories amongst the JWs attending the convention and write them into our little news releases to send out to the local newspapers. We were real excited when any of them managed to get printed!

Very interesting thread, btw - especially about the newspaper syndicate in Russell's day.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

What a deception business! I have a question....

Did the WT speakers announce anything about these papers, or was it just left up to the masses to assume that the newspapers were aligned with the Watchtower's goals?

In other words, was the deception overt or subtle? And, did the newspapers put anything in these "special editions" to alert the Witnesses that these were for a special purpose?

• chickpea
    chickpea

i am thinking this one goes in the
    "their sins have massed together
    clear up to heaven" column ....

and it makes me (almost) wish
    there WAS a god who would
    call the WTS's acts of injustice
    to mind...

barbara,
    thank you for your diligence in
    researching and revealing these
    things, in what one can only hope
    is the time of the end for the b0rg

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Andy WagnerMy My uncle (Andy Wagner) was involved with PR at Bethel.. mid 40s and at the Yankee Stadium assemblies in the 50s. He wrote an article in a magazine about the tent city about those camping out at the assembly. I don't remember the name of the magazine...something to do with trailers I think... I used to have a copy of the magazine... I don't know if it was a special edition or not. He was an announcer on WBBR as well. Look at the chart to the right... seems they were very organized in advertizing...

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit