Which non-JWs exactly get resurructed into the new system?

by JWoods 18 Replies latest jw friends

• JWoods
    JWoods

There seems to be a lot of speculative JW confusion on this. Several JW "rules of thumb" seem to apply -

1) - If you die "during a judgement period" - i.e., you died post 1914 after hearing the JW message, and did not accept it - you do not get a resurrection...

<< but, I believe they qualified this to say that 20th century people (like in Red China) that did not hear the JW message might come back >>

2) - Men of old probably will get a resurrection...unless they were directly killed by god. That would be a judgement - right?

<< but, they have waffled back and forth on people who died in the flood, Egyptian army guys drowned in the red sea, Adam & Eve, and so on >>

3) - If a good JW dies prior to Armageddon, of course they get a resurrection - but they can no longer marry, have sex, or have children. If married JWs survive the battle, they are still married, and can have kids during the 1000 year reign.

<< I think this is still the general idea - but, this too has been the subject of much speculation >>

I started this thread off the random thought about the thread this morning on the 42 kids killed by the bears...remembered that JWs I knew used to excuse these deaths by saying that they would get another chance in the new system.

But really - JWs cannot seem to actually make up their mind on who gets to live again in the new order, can they?

• Dagney
    Dagney

Yeah, there are a few holes in their concept. **sigh**

• snowbird
    snowbird
    But really - JWs cannot seem to actually make up their mind on who gets to live again in the new order, can they?

As well they shouldn't!

The short answer: No one knows.

The long answer: The WT has painted itself into a corner by speculating on things that are better left in the capable Hands of God Almighty. Do they believe He has the answers, or don't they?

Sheesh!

Syl

• JWoods
    JWoods
    The long answer: The WT has painted itself into a corner by speculating on things that are better left in the capable Hands of God Almighty. Do they believe He has the answers, or don't they?

You might well say that about the chances of every single person living today or who has ever lived in the past - what business to the witnesses have speculating on it? And yet they cannot seem to resist the urge - they think they know best.

I also remembered that back in the very early 1960s there was a change in thinking as to whether Adam deserved a resurrection.

It was deemed such important new doctrine that a few people actually left the witnesses over it.

I can't remember which way they went at that time - Adam was doomed before, but resurrected after this "new light" - or was it the other way around?

• snowbird
    snowbird

I remember hearing an old-timer say someone was DF'd because he was teaching that Adam/Eve would be resurrected.

That was early 70's.

I, personally, believe they will.

I hope so; I've got some things to say to them!

Syl

• sir82
    sir82

Re: Point no. 1: There was a WT article some time in the 90's which basically said that virtually anyone and everyone who dies prior to Armageddon gets a resurrection. The only exceptions are those in "Gehenna", and no can say for certain who those people are.

There was a lot of rejoicing among the congregations over that one, although it does lead to several macabre, probably unintended, consequences:

1) JWs secretly hoping for their unbelieving relatives to die, and rejoicing when they do, because "now they'll get into paradise"

2) It paints Jehovah as incredibly merciless and arbitrary. Suppose Armagedon comes July 12, 2015. A baby who dies on July 11 gets a free pass into paradise, while his twin who doesn't die that day is destroyed forever for the "misfortune" of happening to live another day

3) A logical consequence of the above teaching is that JWs would be far more effective at getting people into paradise by murdering them instead of preaching to them.

Well, it's not like the JW "think tank" does much consideration of the ramifications of their policy swings, anyway....

• JWoods
    JWoods

If you extend that logic, Sir82, doesn't it mean that all the preaching work done to anybody who has died in the past was worthless?

And, since there is absolutely no certain credibility that Armageddon will come in any of our lifetimes, that the current preaching work is worthless?

• JWoods
    JWoods

This makes me think again that Sylvia is right: It would be so much easier for the witnesses to just say - we don't know who will be resurrected, and we don't know when armageddon will come.

EXCEPT - that then their whole rationale for preaching the immediate deathly end of the world flies out the window...

• Inkie
    Inkie

The Watchtower Society may or may not know regardless of what they print. However, the Bible says that THERE IS GOING TO BE A RESURRECTION OF BOTH THE RIGHTEOUS AND THE UNRIGHTEOUS. Do you need to know more?

• Dagney
    Dagney

From Sydlik's mouth to my ears, when asked about the resurrection of the unfortunates that are born in the world with severe handicaps/mental illness and the like, "Jehovah needs something to work with. If the personality is not developed, then he has nothing to recreate." Okay.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

This subject just festered in me for so many years. Ideally, hopefully we all die before "the end" comes so we get the free ticket to paradise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit