This is for all of you out there who post wells of information on the doctrines of JW's. Let's say you had to present your top 5 arguments for why JW's are not the true religion, which five would you choose? I'd like to hear all of your thoughts. It may be helpful in disputing JW's later on.
Top 5 Flawed Teachings
They are false prophets according to the biblical definition at Deuteronomy 18:20-22.
If you can establish that, the other four arguments would be moot.
For me, the transfusion medicie taboo is at the very tip,top of the list
Yes you can say they are false prophets. Can you show me five different failed prophecies? I know they are there.
I'm just saying I'd like to hear everyone's five best arguments against the JW's. If someone told you that they would give up being a JW if you could show them five proofs that say the WT organization is wrong, which five would you bring to the table?
The F&DS is the top flawed teaching IMO. They could not have qualified as the slave in 1919, nor met the requirements of the "Wise Virgins", therefore they can't have been chosen as "God's Org".
Isaiah 55: 11 " So my word that goes forth from my mouth will prove to be. it will not return to me without results......"
they say in the sept 15, 2010 Watchtower that what they teach is not from men, but from God.
In the masthead of the magazines printed before 1995, they state that the creator promises
that the new system would be here before the generation of 1914 passes. It didn't happen
all through their reasoning of the scriptures book speaks of this being the generation that will
see the new system. Again it didn't happen. They lied , not Jehovah
I am tempted to say "There is no such thing as true religion" and let it end there.
Short of that, I am tempted to say "The Bible is not God's word, so any religion that uses it to some degree could not possibly be the true religion."
If I wanted to play your game though, I would say:
1. They teach that God chose them specifically as HIS channel of truth in 1919 when it is clear that they have covered up their past to hide the facts that they were no better than the other religions and had nothing special to offer God back then. They do not teach the things they taught then.
2. They teach that the light gets brighter FOR THEM as the end gets closer, meaning they can change teachings and say they have a better understanding now, but in reality they are not "discreet" as they claim and wait for a clear understanding before spouting off the wrong ones. If the light were not bright enough to be right, a true religion would remain silent until the light reveals the actual understanding.
3. They made predictions of the end arriving by a certain point, and all predictions have failed. They are a false prophet according to their own Bible.
4. They insist on absolute conformity to the organization and its rules that govern every last aspect of the members' lives. That is totally contrary to the idea from Jesus that each person must find his own path and decide what it means to serve God.
5. They teach that men can be judges of the spirituality of others based on productivity numbers and how well they kiss the asses of 3 of those men if they are found guilty of breaking any Witness rules. They totally mistrust the members to do the right thing at any time and they keep them in line primarily by fear tactics- fear of God and fear of losing contact with loved ones.
Their reinstatement policy - it is actually ANTI SCRIPTURAL - it is the exact opposite of what the scriptures say.
You got it right OnTheWayOut. The phrase 'true religion' is an oxymoron. The bible was not inspired by a 'creator'...man simply wrote it. That said my top 5 things that are absurd about the JWs...in no particular order...
1. Blood issue 2. Generation teaching(s) 3. Shunning/disfellowshipping 4. 1975 prediction 5. CT Russel's pyramid nuttery and Rutherford's Beth Sarim
Too easy... don't even need the other four.
What will guide us in choosing the right religion? The Encyclopædia Universalis is correct when it highlights the importance of truth. A religion that teaches lies cannot be true. --WT, 12/1/1991, p.7
Why then, do the nations not realize and accept the approach of this climax of judgment? It is because they have not heeded the world-wide advertising of Christ's return and his second presence. Since long before World War I Jehovah's witnesses pointed to 1914 as the time for this great event to occur." --WT 6/15/1954 p.370
Bible prophecy shows that the Lord was due to appear for the second time in the year 1874. Fulfilled prophecy shows beyond a doubt that he did appear in 1874. Fulfilled prophecy is otherwise designated the physical facts; and these facts are indisputable. --WT 11/1/1922 p.333
The WT$ is a LIAR organization. One example, above. I could have included a dozen, easy. They are LIARS and therefore cannot be "true religion".