talking to my Mom about the JW's - I need some help

by James_Slash 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

Firstly, I left the JW's about 5 years ago.

My Mom is still in.

I've spoken to her on a number of issues and even though she has doubts that the JW's are the 'true' religion, mainly due to the paedophile scandal and the generation changes, she said to me today that "if the JW's are not the true religion, then who is?" she also stated that it was Jesus' command in the bible to "preach the good news of the kingdom - only JW's do that".

What can I come back with?

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

On the subject of preaching the good news, refer her to Tim Kilgore's YouTube video debates with another YouTuber named "theBiblethumper"...or watch them yourself...very interesting debate on preaching house to house...there are some points you could use there. Do some research on the Bible itself...the JW's version of it...quite a few discrepencies between the NWT and the other translations, not to mention the fact that the NWT was copied mostly from Johannes Greber's translation and he himself is into the occult...

There are so many ways to approach this, but take it slow...do your own research first and only introduce one point at a time. JW's are known to jump from one subject to the next without a lead-in or a warning and you lose your footing quickly. STICK TO ONE SUBJECT. I went through this with my dad last week and instead of staying on subject he kept veering off...we ended up talking about everything BUT why I disagree with the Society. AAAAAH! It was just 4 hours of frustration! So approach it armed with knowledge and with a specific question your mother has. And don't veer off course. Keep bringing her back to that subject and make her AWARE that she's getting off track.

Good luck!

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Read "In Search of Christian Freedom" by Ray Franz. I just finished it a few days ago. It provides reasonable answers to all of those lingering fragments. At least it did for me.

This is helpful too for a quick fix.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/rhetorical-fallacy.php

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

As regards the preaching of the good news:

What exactly is that good news?

That 99.99% of the world's population are soon have their lives taken away from them by the God that the Witnesses worship?

Based on the last three times that Witnesses have called on me their preaching work seems to consist of standing at your door making very little eye contact and certainly no attempt to engage in any meaningful conversation whilst handing over copies of the magazines.

After 100 years of preaching and myriads upon myriads of hours spent likewise most people only know two things about the Good News of Jehovah's Witnesses;

1) They don't take blood

2) They don't have Christmas

The Mormons seem to do a far better job of preaching around here and that is minimal too. (Aren't they the polygamous ones?)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Read "In Search of Christian Freedom" by Ray Franz.

Yes. Otherwise, Jesus did not command a door-to-door work, but nothing is wrong with that. Still, it isn't the only way the preaching work is accomplished to obey Jesus (if someone believes that such a command exists). A guy who stands on the corner with a microphone/amplifier or a bullhorn is more closely copying the Biblical example of the disciples. Television evangelizing and missionary work are examples. Catholic charities could be considered an example.

Another way to look at this is, "What is the good news that JW's preach? Is it really the right good news?" JW's focus on "Jehovah" and the new system, but I don't read that Jesus said to preach paradise, he said to preach the kingdom and salvation. They can argue back and forth on this, but if you are armed with IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM, you might be able to discuss it reasonably with your mom.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Ditto on the book In Search Of Christian Freedom. I have not read it myself but as you can see here and as I have seen elsewhere, it is highly recommended.

As to your mom's questions, most Christians (myself included) believe that the truth can only be found in Christ and not in any organized religion.

• Will Power
    Will Power

I also agree that In Search of Christian Freedom is a great place to start.

but check this out! THE JWS ARE NO WAY THE ONLY ONES

http://www.beyondtoday.tv/

These guys sound like a mirror image of the WT society. They also say they are the ones preaching the good news of the kingdom.

Be careful tho - these guys are an offshoot of the WCG. That other cult run by Herbert Armstrong.

They have tons of publications as well: (called the Good News A Magazine of Understanding) WOW

Heaven & Hell: What Does the Bible Really Teach?
    Few things could be more important than what happens to us when this life ends. Most people believe the Bible teaches that we will go to either heaven or hell at death. They might be surprised at what it really says!

Five-Legged Cow
    Truth doesn't change just because you change your point of view. Are you worshipping God in a way that pleases Him?

American Religion
    Are you seeking the true religion?

Holidays or Holy Days: Does It Matter Which Days We Observe?Holidays or Holy Days: Does It Matter Which Days We Observe?
    Many people are shocked to discover the origins of our most popular religious holidays. They are also surprised to find that the days God commands us to observe in the Bible—the same days Jesus Christ and the apostles kept—are almost universally ignored. Why? Also, why are today's supposedly Christian holidays observed with so many rituals and customs that are not sanctioned anywhere in the Bible?

The Gospel of the Kingdom
    Would you like to learn more about the glorious future Jesus Christ will usher in at His return called the Kingdom of God? Dozens of prophecies tell us how the world will be entirely transformed and all humanity taught a way of life that will bring peace, prosperity and productive, fulfilling lives. For a glimpse into this exciting new world, be sure to read this booklet.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

The preaching of the "Good News" was fullfilled before the end came in 70 C.E. Paul said it had at Colossians 1:23. So the end never came before the work was done. Matthew 24: 15-21, Jesus said, When you catch sight of the disgusting thing (Roman Army) .......then there will be a great tribulation such as not occurred since the World's beginning until now,nor will occur again." Jesus said there would not be another "Great Tribulation" but the Watchtower organization says there will be. The last days began in 33 C.E. (Joel 2:28) and ended in 70 C.E.

• looloo
    looloo

hi , regarding the "preaching the good news of the kingdom" and jws being the only ones to do that , mormons knock on my door much more than jws do , does that mean that they have "the truth" ? and ive had baptists knock on my door also . does she know about the british lady doctor who was executed in afghanistan recently by the taliban along with her colleagues . the reason given was "they were preaching christianity " i think she worked for the red cross not th watchtower ! good luck james , you could try telling her about that "wonderfull" brother from the states who was abusing in the cong she visited !

• looloo
    looloo

hi , regarding the "preaching the good news of the kingdom" and jws being the only ones to do that , mormons knock on my door much more than jws do , does that mean that they have "the truth" ? and ive had baptists knock on my door also . does she know about the british lady doctor who was executed in afghanistan recently by the taliban along with her colleagues . the reason given was "they were preaching christianity " i think she worked for the red cross not th watchtower ! good luck james , you could try telling her about that "wonderfull" brother from the states who was abusing in the cong she visited !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit